Stereo instal - questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stereo instal - questions

I just pulled the old stereo out and found all those damn wires back there. Which ones are the:

1. Acc. wire
    2. Constant power wire

----------------------
    Justin

time to pull out teh test light.

the positive one will be the one thats hot all the time,, and ACC is the one thats only hot when the key is on or at ACC position (key back)
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

ditto on the test light, i dont remember the colors, lol
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

i have a list of color codes, but cant find em...the yello w/ black strips is either power or ACC...cant remember the other.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

ditto ditto on the test light

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Why didn't I think of that? :coocoo:

WIRES:

Green: Constant power
            Yellow (2 wires in one slot): Acc
            Orange: Acc
            Black: ?
            Blue: ?

1. Which "Acc" wire should I hook into? I'm thinking I'll use the Orange one.

2. What is the red wire for in the second pic? It was on the bolt in back of the stereo.

3. Where is a good place to put the new stereos' Ground Wire?

4. What is the big yellow plug down the wire for? (first pic)

5. How does the headlight switch knob come off?

-----------------------
            Justin

Comment

is it possible to disable the factory amp without buying the bypass cable?

Comment

OOO!!! that big yellow thing is an auxillary connection!!! use it! you said yellow was power with key on right? the reason there are two of them at the harness, is becuase one of them goes back to the yellow plug, and is meant to be tapped!
                get yourself a crimp banana plug and stick it in! (when you need to power something, like a relay to turn on a CB, or foglights!)

as for your other wires... do I see three harnesses for your factory radio?? you must have premium sound... how does the wiring harness you bought fit these???
                there are two kinds, a use-the-amp and an amp bypass harness... do you know what you have?

and do you need to use the install kit or do you have those tabs like jackup460's???

oh and back behind the ashtray, on the dash frame near the firewall, there is a handy strip of ground tabs there ready to use a female spade connector... at least I hope you have them. I do!
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by CrownVic89
                  is it possible to disable the factory amp without buying the bypass cable?
                  yes, by hard wiring it.
                  sigpic

Comment

The headlight switch knob....

I belive you pull it out to turn it on...reach up behind there and theres a little tiny spring loaded button on there...

push that in and hold it...push the lights back in to turn off, and pull right out. You will prob have to fiddle with it, its been awhile
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

that is a premium sound harness. what a fucking pita. i've never seen a use-the-amp harness for teh older boxes, i've only seen the amp bypass harnesses, i have seen for the 90-91's a use-the-amp harness, because i have one
                      Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

you'll honestly save ypurself a crapload of troule just by running new speaker wire. it'll sound better too. i'm assuming you have door speakers??
                        Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Yes, the car has Premium Sound, but I am running all new wiring.

I do not need an instal kit. The factory clip and side mounts work fine.

Yes, I have door speakers.

----------------------
                          Justin

Comment

New stereo is in and functional. Sounds much better than before and it's great having a CD player on board.

-------------------
                            Justin

Comment

cool cool, I miss mine in my car.

Comment

Working...
                              X