Cooling Fan Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooling Fan Question

Hello everyone. I have a 98 Grand Marquis GS and will post pictures soon. I have a question about my cooling fan. Sometimes after I drive awhile up to normal operating tempeture and I park, the fan will not shut off. It just keeps running indefinatly unless I turn the car off. This happens when the a/c is off and has not been on. It even happens in cooler weather. Temp gauge reads normal. All fluids are level and no codes from ECU or bad readings such as "soft fails" on scan. I had a soft fail from the MAF sensor once which gave me great fuel economy but slowly burned away my plugs with white ash from an overly lean condition. It finally died and caused the car to spaz out and miss under acceleration and even then tripped no codes! I think these ECU's are a bit mentally challenged.

What controls the on/off operation of the cooling fan and which part should I try replacing first? Thanks guys for your help.
    cruiser

Very good question!

I hope you find the answers needed and be sure to post them back!

Good luck
    Do it with a 5spd!

Comment

Check your grounds, and also test the relay to make sure it is working correctly.
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
        Check your grounds, and also test the relay to make sure it is working correctly.

Thank you for the response! I will try that. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks.
        cruiser

Comment

Does the fan stop after a while, or will it just continue to run forever? I think some run-on after the engine is shut down is normal but I'm not sure exactly how long its supposed to keep going. A stuck relay can also do this.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

As long as your engine is within normal temps and its not getting too cool you should be fine. I don't know how 98+ fans are programmed. Hell, mine doesnt always come on with a/c or defrost.
            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              Does the fan stop after a while, or will it just continue to run forever? I think some run-on after the engine is shut down is normal but I'm not sure exactly how long its supposed to keep going. A stuck relay can also do this.

Yes, it will sometimes just continue to run but shuts off when the car shuts off. I have noticed lately it has not been cycling properly like it used too. I heard somewhere on the board here a while back that a relay problem is usually a sign of the fan motor itself going bad. Is that true? I am going to replace the relay anyway though. Thanks.
              cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny View Post
                As long as your engine is within normal temps and its not getting too cool you should be fine. I don't know how 98+ fans are programmed. Hell, mine doesnt always come on with a/c or defrost.
                Thanks for the input!
                cruiser

Comment

Working...
                X