making the AC/Vent fan blow more air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

making the AC/Vent fan blow more air

I have noticed that the air movement by the stock fan on "high" setting is hardly adequate to cool such a big cabin in the summer. Is there any way to speed up the fan motor? or possibly replace it with one from a newer Panther? Has anyone else noticed this?
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

i have the same issue with my car trying to warm the car up in the winter. i dont worry about a/c.
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

You ATC guys have one less speed than non ATC...sucks for you! :p
      '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
      '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

The faster the air moves over the evaporator the less cool it will be. Whatever setting recirculates the air is the best bet because it does not have to push the air into the car, and the air is cooler.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
          The faster the air moves over the evaporator the less cool it will be. Whatever setting recirculates the air is the best bet because it does not have to push the air into the car, and the air is cooler.
          x2

try you're A/C with a low or medium blower setting you'll be amazed at you're erecting nipples

always use MAX A/C, that's the mode the recirculates
          1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
          FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

Originally posted by boXman View Post
            You ATC guys have one less speed than non ATC...sucks for you! :p
            We get 3 speeds, but high still runs the fan at the same speed.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

oumight not be recirculating on max... look under your glove box to the right and you will see a vacuum can, make sure the vacuum line running to it is connected, sometimes they can be kicked off by a large foot.

you can also get a new fan motor at autozone for about $20 that will blow harder - they do wear out.

Comment

you mean i can go to Autozone, give them 20 bucks, and I'll get one that will blow harder? well shit I know where I'm goin tomorrow!
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yea, like they said the recirculating is the most effective, so use Panel for max cooling, and Hi/Lo as you next best bet (pulls in some fresh air as well). The autozone blower may be a good bet, but I'm real finicky with aftermarket parts. You can try Four Seasons brand (which may be what Autozone sells?), which I've had good luck with, or one of the online OEM stores like Teamfordparts. My air has still not been cooling well either, the lowest temp I can get is 48 F. The temp also varies greatly whether I'm accelerating or idling (blows warmer air at idle, cooler under some load).
                  sigpic
                  1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                  Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    you mean i can go to Autozone, give them 20 bucks, and I'll get one that will blow harder? well shit I know where I'm goin tomorrow!
                    the blower motor is in the engine compartment on the top of the firewall on the passenger side. its held in by 4 small screws. when removing, it will have the mouse wheel fan attached. remove the little lock washer on the top of the shaft the mouse wheel is on. then get your wife, friend, whoever to hold the mousewheel while you tap the shaft out of the wheel using a hammer and screw driver, install the mousewheel on the new motor using the old lock washer, you might also have to salvage your old wire harness connector from the old motor. should take less than 30 monutes to get er done.

Comment

I think you totally missed what I meant by that post lol. Thats what happens at 2:30 am after working 12 hours.

Comment

Just get a new one, the old ones die out slowly. My max fan speed is half what it used to be.

Comment

My attempts at innuendo have clearly failed. I quit.

Comment

Working...
                          X