Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting Trouble (kinda long but PLEASE read!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Trouble (kinda long but PLEASE read!)

For refreshers, I drive a 1993 Lincoln Town Car. My problem is that sometimes it does not start, it merely clicks. This is generally a problem when I have driven for maybe ten or fifteen minutes and shut the car off, then try to restart is 5-30 minutes later. I thought it was the battery being run down by the air suspension, because jumping it would always get it to start. So today in a parking lot when I couldn't get it to fire up, I just waited like a lost pup for a jump to come along, and decided I'd try the ignition even though it was just doing the one-click thing. It fired up! Thinking it was the battery or terminals before, I have replaced the battery and terminals. I am wondering if it is a temperature sensor, because I think maybe the car is cooling down and then it will start (and the jumping really had nothing to do with it, the car had just cooled from sitting.) Also, the car has one of those "outside temp" readings on the dash, and even though it's mid 70's outside, the dash says it's -13 degrees farenheight. Please help! I am really broke right now and I need to be able to fix this myself, even though I own zero diagnostic tools. But I could probably replace a sensor. Which one would it be? Maybe my Haynes manual could help me find it. Thanks alot guys!
    Last edited by Chuck Norris; 05-19-2007, 02:42 PM.
    Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
    Bone stock... for now.

Hi Chuck Norris

Check out the starter terminals they are known to corrode on a 281 Town Car, barring that I suspect you have a bad spot on the starter commutator.

Regards

Dereck
    President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

my truck was doing quite the same thing. It turned out to be the starter cable and the starter. i had replaced the starter, it was still doing it, so when i checked the wiring after that, i found green death in the starter cable.

as far as anything with that temp sensor, that only pertains to the climate control and user convenience package

oh, also, i dont know if it has one or not (my docs only go back to 96ish) but see if there's a starter solenoid, that could be causing it also
      GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
      1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
      99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
      03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
      95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Hi Seneeb

Separate starter solenoid finished when the AODE transmision was fitted mid Feb '92, after that is is part of the starter.

Regards

Dereck
        President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Comment

Yeah, Derek, you're right. So if it's the selonoid, it's the whole starter. However, there is still the possibility of it being the "starter relay", which thankfully is a rlatively easy to replace part and shouldn't cost alot. I think I'm gonna try that first (I'd check the connections at the sterter terminals first, but I don't have ramps, and I really don't like working under a car supported by jacks or stands.) If that's not it, I will take it to the shop and let them raise it and check all the connections, and replace whatever is wrong. I have a good, competent mechanic whose prices are fair and he doesn't mark up parts more than about three dollars to cover his gas.

Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Hi Chuck Norris

You havent got a starter relay, the only relay in the starting sytem apart from the solenoid on the starter itself is the interupt relay if you have the factory anti-theft system, if this relay went bad your starter would not even click.

You should be able to get the starter solenoid separately from a rebuilder but ususa;lly it is not much cheaper than geting a whole re-man unit.

Regards
            Dereck

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
              For refreshers, I drive a 1993 Lincoln Town Car. My problem is that sometimes it does not start, it merely clicks. This is generally a problem when I have driven for maybe ten or fifteen minutes and shut the car off, then try to restart is 5-30 minutes later. I thought it was the battery being run down by the air suspension, because jumping it would always get it to start. So today in a parking lot when I couldn't get it to fire up, I just waited like a lost pup for a jump to come along, and decided I'd try the ignition even though it was just doing the one-click thing. It fired up! Thinking it was the battery or terminals before, I have replaced the battery and terminals. I am wondering if it is a temperature sensor, because I think maybe the car is cooling down and then it will start (and the jumping really had nothing to do with it, the car had just cooled from sitting.) Also, the car has one of those "outside temp" readings on the dash, and even though it's mid 70's outside, the dash says it's -13 degrees farenheight. Please help! I am really broke right now and I need to be able to fix this myself, even though I own zero diagnostic tools. But I could probably replace a sensor. Which one would it be? Maybe my Haynes manual could help me find it. Thanks alot guys!
              A friend I know had this same problem. Not sure what year town car it was but it would start if it was jumped. It was the starting solenoid on the fender. If there was a contact between those two screws, the car would start right up. It might be the same problem. I don't think this will hurt but try taking a screw driver and make a contact between the two main bolts of the solenoid. If this problem is all the time and this makes it start, then it is the solenoid. It could be signs of a going bad solenoid. A hot spot perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                A friend I know had this same problem. Not sure what year town car it was but it would start if it was jumped. It was the starting solenoid on the fender. If there was a contact between those two screws, the car would start right up. It might be the same problem. I don't think this will hurt but try taking a screw driver and make a contact between the two main bolts of the solenoid. If this problem is all the time and this makes it start, then it is the solenoid.
                Hi 86VickyLX

Am I talking to myself in this thread? Doesnt anybody actually read these threads?

In post # 4 I could have sworn I said thatthe separate fender solenoid was deleted in 92, maybe I just drempt it?

Regards

Dereck

Comment

Hi Dereck,
                  I'm Pretty sure they didn't. My Mom's 94 Vic has a solenoid on the passenger's side fender.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post

Hi Dereck,
                    I'm Pretty sure they didn't. My Mom's 94 Vic has a solenoid on the passenger's side fender.
                    Hi 86 VickyLX

Holy fucking shit I am talking to myself and nobody does read the entire thread!!!

Chuck Norris has a '93 TOWN CAR, it is as simular to your mom's 94 Crown Victoria as my cock is to a cabbage.

Regards

Dereck

Comment

:lol:

Actually, I think it's easy for us CV/GM guys to not realize some of the weird differences that are unique to Town Cars. I know I would assume the same thing about the presence of a remote starter solenoid (especially since it's been a slight trouble spot on both of my cars), though apparently I would be wrong. :p
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Chuck Norris has a '93 TOWN CAR, it is as simular to your mom's 94 Crown Victoria as my cock is to a cabbage.
                        That, my friend, was AWESOME!!
                        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Hi Dereck,

I have read every every word of your posts actually, and I have found them quite delightful, as well as helpful. You seem to be 100% correct in everything you've said too. How do you know so much about American cars living in England? Do they even sell Towncars over there? Or any Panther for that matter? I can't image driving one of these land barges down those curvy city streets I always see in movies that take place in England and France.

Regards,

Chuck Norris

Bone stock... for now.

Comment

I'm inclined to agree, either the starter is giving up the ghost or the connection or cable is bad. All will cause exactly these symptoms. Bad ground connection to the engine block can also do the same thing.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Dereck View Post
                              Hi 86 VickyLX

Holy fucking shit I am talking to myself and nobody does read the entire thread!!!

Regards

Dereck
                              Maybe, but what does Chuck Norris see? Maybe there is one. I've seen them not only in my mothers Vic. I am aware of the many differences between Towncars and Vics/grandmarqs. And as I said, I was not sure what year my friends town car was. That had one. Whatever.

Comment

Working...
                              X