Grandma's Grocery Getter wins again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grandma's Grocery Getter wins again!

Good racing, but the ol grandmaquis comes out on top!
    http://www.edgewaterrace.com/index.p...d=24&Itemid=45
    ---------------------------------
    on another note. im planing on rebuilding a motor out of an 88 GM. I would like to run 14s. And im planing running carb. whats the best way to go as far as heads cam pistons intake carb etc. thanks! GO GRANDMA!
    Stock 91 Merc GM GS 5.0L EFI, AOD, 2.73 Open diff
    Current Best 1/4 Mile 17.175 = 165 RWHP 190 Engine HP
    http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/15193

So that's how quick a stock GM is. Anyways, I see that you live in Fairfield. My uncle lives in Fairfield and we always go there for Thanksgiving, and I may take a trip there this summer.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Turbo2256b can port some E7s for ya and they can perform real well...I have a set for my motor..just waiting to go in.
      you can see pics of them here..near the bottom of the page
      http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=16689
      sigpic
      1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Stock HO, 3.73's or 4.10's, 2200 stall converter, well built AOD.

Must not be many bracket racers out there if you can win being 3 hundredths off the dial in.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

or that stuff...that would prolly get ya in the 14s.
          sigpic
          1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
            Stock HO, 3.73's or 4.10's, 2200 stall converter, well built AOD.

Must not be many bracket racers out there if you can win being 3 hundredths off the dial in.
            I was running trophy class. three hundredths is damn close to your dialin with a 15 year old boat. obviously you dont bracket race. The AOD should be able to handle 400hp with a shift kit shouldent it? there are alot of guys at the track that run 12s with a stock turbo 350 tranny, and dont have any problems. Are ford trannys weak?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Land Yacht View Post
              Turbo2256b can port some E7s for ya and they can perform real well...I have a set for my motor..just waiting to go in.
              you can see pics of them here..near the bottom of the page
              http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=16689
              how much did he charge you to port them and ship them back?

Comment

Originally posted by Grandma91quis View Post
                I was running trophy class. three hundredths is damn close to your dialin with a 15 year old boat. obviously you dont bracket race. The AOD should be able to handle 400hp with a shift kit shouldent it? there are alot of guys at the track that run 12s with a stock turbo 350 tranny, and dont have any problems. Are ford trannys weak?
                I don't... but a friend of mine runs his 81 wagon and it runs dead consistant...talking thousandths. I never did, because my car wasn't consistant. Couple hundredths to a few tenths off each run. Still won trophies though. Not much bracket racing out my way.

400 hp with only a shift kit? For a few passes. A good rebuilt trans with a shift kit should handle it without any issues. AOD's are weak if they aren't built right. If you're planning a track whore, go C4. I was ale to get 100K out of my AOD with a 200RWHP 14 second Crown Vic that saw a few hundred passes and spent most of it's time on the street wide open.

The further you go from stock, the more difficult it will be to dial in and make consistant.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                  I don't... but a friend of mine runs his 81 wagon and it runs dead consistant...talking thousandths. I never did, because my car wasn't consistant. Couple hundredths to a few tenths off each run. Still won trophies though. Not much bracket racing out my way.

400 hp with only a shift kit? For a few passes. A good rebuilt trans with a shift kit should handle it without any issues. AOD's are weak if they aren't built right. If you're planning a track whore, go C4. I was ale to get 100K out of my AOD with a 200RWHP 14 second Crown Vic that saw a few hundred passes and spent most of it's time on the street wide open.

The further you go from stock, the more difficult it will be to dial in and make consistant.

my car will be a track whore but i dont have the money for a c4 so ill probably just have my dad rebuild the trans. i would have to go to tennesse to get it done.

The further you go from stock the more inconsistant you are is not true.
                  If you are a good bracket racer and you know that you are doing the same thing every run. Burnouts are the same, if your burnout is to long you will heat the tires and spin. Staging, when you turn on the 2nd bulb how far does your car roll in after that light comes on? How much of that sticky stuff did they put on the track, that will slow you down if your car is slow and heavy.
                  Also and equaly important is the WEATHER.
                  If the wind is blowing when you do time runs then when you get to the first race and its dead still. Now your car is going to pick up. Other weather conditions effect your et also. tempeture, atomosphic pressure, & humidity just to name a few.

Dial-in is experience. experiece with the car and the weather. "Going farther from stock" has nothing to do with it.

Comment

OK, so obviously you have a clue what you are talking about, The going farther from stock does cause issues, such as not being able to just floor it off the line. Yes you need experience. You do realize that most of the people that post and ask questions here are complete and utter morons, That is why I had mentioned that. And it's friggin obvious that a 10 sec bracket racer can be deadly consistant and IS NOT stock...

So ass to you too!

So, back to the original Q...

Stock E7's will get you 14's. Some cleanup on the exhaust ports that you can do at home wouldn't hurt. A stock sourced holley or an aftermarket in the 500-600cfm will be more than enough.

I think Nitroracer mentioned that he was selling some sotck 85HO stuff. The carb and intake off of that would work well for a mild motor. Don't need much cam for a heavy ass car like these.

Slydawg has been successfully bracket racing his 81 colony park for 20+ years. I'll point him to this thread....

Also, the 5.0/5.8 tech section has a FAQ posted by me about getting a car in the 14's on the cheap.

Comment

Kind of sad, I was running an HO and doing 17.85 passes in my car last year with a 3.55 rear.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        Kind of sad, I was running an HO and doing 17.85 passes in my car last year with a 3.55 rear.
                        your trans give out? I run the shit out of my trans. And it seems to shift fine still. i have to put it in D to get it into 2nd then drop it back to 1st to hold 2nd gear, or my times arent consistent. It likes to shift to 3rd about 100 foot before the finnish line if I leave it in drive.

Comment

His motor had lots of issues...And it's a heavy ass towncar.

My 91 GMGS ran a best of 17.35 with the same rear as yours. Bone stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandma91quis View Post
                            your trans give out? I run the shit out of my trans. And it seems to shift fine still. i have to put it in D to get it into 2nd then drop it back to 1st to hold 2nd gear, or my times arent consistent. It likes to shift to 3rd about 100 foot before the finnish line if I leave it in drive.
                            Trans was fine, but thats what you get with a motor that makes 120 psi compression and has the camshaft a tooth off. I was hitting like 82 at the end, but it was a total pig off the line. The extremely late valve timing and weak compression made it not build any power till about 3200 rpm or so.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thain, I have a feeling your car will run LOADS better this yr...
                              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                              X