NEED HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEED HELP!

i want to make my 1988 colony park faster. is a 351ci engine worth getting or should i stick with a 302 mustang engine? and tell me some other stuff that is worth doing to the car, it almost all stock parts.

Have a look through the FAQ sticky in the suspension forum. It'll give you some ideas how to make the car handle and drive nicer.

As far as going faster, what kind of budget are you working with, and how much wrench experience do you have? Probably the cheapest and easiest route for a motor swap is a HO 5.0 from a Mustang or Mark VII. All the brackets swap right over, its a proven reliable motor, and it doesn't really have any stupid quirks to deal with. A 351 can make more power, but they're not as common, and usually more expensive. Also, half the time the heads and cam they come with sort of suck, so you'll have to upgrade that, fuel injection might be difficult, and if you go carb you'll need to change wiring and fuel system plumbing. its do-able, and it has been done, but if you're looking for a simple solution, the HO is the way to go. Also, you can make even that stock motor perform a lot better with some simple upgrades. Better exhaust, HO upper intake, and a set of rear gears will go a long way toward making it perform better.

And
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by queeque View Post
      i want to make my 1988 colony park faster. is a 351ci engine worth getting or should i stick with a 302 mustang engine? and tell me some other stuff that is worth doing to the car, it almost all stock parts.
      Such a large saga displayed in one sentence.....

Comment

at least he used puncuation lol

a rebuilt 302 ho from a lincoln mark7 or a mustang, and fresh transmission, and some 3.55 or 3.73 gears will make the car alot more powerful, economical and fun to drive

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Go look at the buildup of my cars. One cheaper one (87 sedan), and the more expensive insanity known as the truckster.

As for the 302 351 debate, it all depends on the ultimate goal and budget. The 351W block and rotating assembly can handle more hp, and the 302's usually become timebombs around 450-500hp.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

well if its easier to stick with a 302 i will. 450hp is enough for me. i will probably get a 1980s mustang gt engine, how much hp will that engine give me stock? and what are some easy mods for it.

Comment

well if its easier to stick with a 302 i will. 450hp is enough for me. i will probably get a 1980s mustang gt engine, how much hp will that engine give me stock? and what are some easy mods for it.
              225 hp from a stock HO motor. Simple upgrades are having the heads ported, and swap the intake for something that flows better. I'd really suggest rebuilding the motor if you're going to be doing any serious modification to the engine.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                225 hp from a stock HO motor. Simple upgrades are having the heads ported, and swap the intake for something that flows better. I'd really suggest rebuilding the motor if you're going to be doing any serious modification to the engine.
                I have a 302 block, the one that was originally in the car. Is it possible to use that block and swap in HO parts and make it an HO motor?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                  I have a 302 block, the one that was originally in the car. Is it possible to use that block and swap in HO parts and make it an HO motor?
                  Yes, although '89-93 HO motors had a stronger bottom end with forged internals, so if you're planning anything serious, you might want to look into one of those.
                  Nick
                  88 Colony Park LS
                  G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                  Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Oh I see so it wouldn't work with that block? I am not even sure if it's the original engine.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                      Oh I see so it wouldn't work with that block? I am not even sure if it's the original engine.
                      You can use the 302 block in your car for a 302 HO build. Just look at the HO conversion sticky for all the parts you need. If all you want to build is a stock 302 HO, then the Panther 302 block will hold up with no problems.
                      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                        You can use the 302 block in your car for a 302 HO build. Just look at the HO conversion sticky for all the parts you need. If all you want to build is a stock 302 HO, then the Panther 302 block will hold up with no problems.
                        Well you say stock so there is even more modification to the HO motor? Would these mods work on the block? Or is it too weak? And how can you find out if it's the original motor?

Comment

and not a remanufactured one?

Comment

Moddifications you can make to the HO motor would be things like porting the heads, porting the intake manifolds, advancing the cam, roller rockers, valve springs, and other things like that. The 302 block can hold up till around 400hp IIRC.

And about finding out if it's the original motor, i'm not sure how you'd know. I'm guessing there's a casting number on the block you can find.
                            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

oh and how much would the stock HO parts cost?

Comment

Working...
                              X