Speakers in rear doors: yes/no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speakers in rear doors: yes/no?

So I've slowly been gettin the stereo system put together. I have a lot of parts, and I am wondering whether I should bother putting in the rear doors. It might be fun to do a surround sound system, but I am concerned about screwing up the imaging for normal music.

Here's where I am at now: New Pioneer deck (forget which model, not really important). JL Audio 5.25 components in the front doors (sound nice). Infinity 6x9's in the rear deck.

Now what I have to play with:
    2 Song XPlod 12" subs in a sealed box
    2 JL AUdio 8" free air subs
    2 JL Audio 4" 2 ways
    2 Sony Xplod 5.25 components

I'm thinking of trying to work the free air subs under the front seats, and am debating on the Sony or the JL's in the rear doors...

The 12" subs are going in the trunk of course... I'm thinking splitting them into their own boxes though, putting one on each side... mostly for best use of space... although I'll have to do some experiments and math to decide if it will work audio-wise...

What do you all think? It seems not too many people put speakers in the rear doors, although I know of at least one car here that has components in the rear doors....

Its definitly not going to hurt anything... if you care that much for the rear passenger's music experience, go for it! Id use some angled speaker bezels like you find in the front of the newer boxes with the big speaker grilles.
    I used them in the front doors of the 85 and they made a HUGE improvement in the sound.
    I just put some tweeters on the B pillars facing the rear passengers and they sound good too. If you have some component sets laying around Id just used the tweeters from them. The rear will get plently of midbass from the 6x9's anyway.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

It would be for rear passengers only though, not for any kind of surround sound. They would be completely blocked from you, so you'd hear marginal at best from them. For that surround sound effect, use the 3 dash speaker spots, two in the front doors, and the rear dash.

Comment

it's a 91... no dash speaker spots as far as I know... unfortunatetly...

However, I have a pair of free-air subs... maybe I could put them in the rear doors...

Comment

you need to think about window clearance if you put those speakers in the rear doors. starting in 1990 if i remember right, they dont have front dash speakers because they changed the dash. you would need to install tweeters in the front pillars and since bass from subs is indeterminate in ways of sound you can put them under the seat or under the dash for front bass. i know that i need to hook up tweeters in my front pillars to get better vocals in my car since everything seems to be heard from the rear. i even have 2 - 5 1/4" speakers in my front dash.
          Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

In my old 90 I had the tweeters at the top of the A-pillar, and it sounded fine. In this one I have them mounted at the top of the door, and it also sounds great. I had been criticized for having them in the A-Pillar by some people who thought they were audiophiles, but it sounded good enough to me.

As to the subs under the seats, I would LOVE to put them there, but there very little room. So I was also thinking under the dash... but havn't figured out exactly where... will take some fabbing...

Comment

depending on head room you have...could you fab a spacer to raise the seats? you could possibly fab an area to have them mounted to the center under the das pointing towards the door. just an idea, since you cant really have them in the way of the pedals. i was thinking of cutting a hole in the door to mount my tweeters so they would be flush mount in my front doors. just lil ideas and others may have some too.
              Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

in 90 and 91's if you pull the door panel off, there is a pre-cut hole in the cardboard, I had to make it a tad larger, but that's exactly where I put mine. I'll take some pictures tomorrow maybe.

I spent saturday trying to decide on the subs. I think I'm going with your suggestion of fabbing a sort-of center console for them, pointing at the door. Looks like they will fit real nice. Tomorrow I'll have to fab up some cardboard mockups/templates... when I'm done I'll post the plans if anyone wants to try something similar. Maybe I'll work in some cup holders too..

Comment

In the front door or the rear? The front door one is common. I run my tweeters in the front doors as well. Just below the mirrors is pretty close to where I put mine. And I put 6-1/2" woofers in the front doors as well though they needed to be mounted flush to the door panel so as to clear the window and window crank. It's about 1/16" from the window crank and less than 1/8" from the window inside the door.

Comment

crank? silly base models

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Fuck you Scott :-p

jk

I have 6.5" in my front doors, and the tweeter in the front door as well

Wtf are some people saying they put 5.25" in the dash? I thought it was 4"? At least mine is.

Comment

I put a 4" in mine and had to adapt it because it was too small. I think a 4.5" or 5" would fit better, but I don't have anything in there now.

Comment

Strange, my Boston Acoustics I used to have in the dash were 4" and they fit extremely tight...

Comment

Maybe they increased the size in the later year models.

Comment

What speakers do you have in your dash (model number plz if at all possible)? I want to cut my hole out bigger, and place some decent ones there. I need to know the mounting depth I have.

Comment

Working...
                              X