Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Stats

Dear Panthers,
    From May 11 to June 4th, me and four sheepdogs drove my 89 Colony Park 4512 miles to Sheepdog Trials in Illinois, Wisconsin, North Dakota and back to Wisconsin again before returning home. The wagon has 214, 000 miles on it, the engine 106k since rebuild, tranny 30 K.

It has remote doorlocks, pioneer and blauplunkt sound system and 4 days of mps’s on the iBook in the console. Its oil pressure and temperature guages are mounted on the A pillar.

It’s been to Scott twice for new radiator, generator, water pump, power steering pump, police steering and suspension, 16 inch tires and disk brakes. Scott has fixed everything he thought might break.

I was fully loaded with my gear, dog gear, four dogs, dog water and food and cartons of books in the jump seat compartment.

On this trip it consumed 211 gallons of gas for a trip average of 21.38 mpg.
    It took one quart of oil. The defroster or air wa almost always on.

The GPS has a trip calculator. According to it, I drove 64 hours for an average speed of 63.2. That figure is misleading since I turned the GPS off once I found the trial grounds and my motel and left it off driving to dinner, back and forth to the trial, taking the dogs to some park to exercise etc. But the figure should be about right for overall highway travel. Most of my driving was eight hours per day. The longest day was thirteen hours, the shortest six.

The trip calculator says the fastest I drove was 128 mph but that can’t be correct. On two or three occasions passing in the Dakotas I might have hit 95-100 but that’d be the fastest.

I hit a deer fifteen minutes from home but since the radiators were undamaged, continued on. In the Dakotas my driver’s side window wouldn’t roll up but finally it did. Twice my ignition lock stuck but unstuck. Maybe half a dozen times my tailgate would swing open and I let down the window and lifted the latch and then the gate opened. With three dogs crated and one loose inn the wayback (behind the back seats) I had to slam the tailgate shut and bend the crates some.The last day of trialing I hadn’t locked the tailgate but parked at a funny tilt and it wouldn’t open so the problem is probably mechanical not electrical.

I intend to fix these things soon. The first day out I had hot air blowing when I pulled a hill and the cruise control wouldn’t work. Since Scott had replaced all the vacuum lines I figured maybe he’d missed something but after that one time I never had hot air again and the cruise worked flawlessly.

Getting used to such precise steering took some doing. It was easy to oversteer until I got used to it. After I did, Scott’s steering and suspension made driving effortless.

I had three white knuckle moments. After a trial, about two pm, somewhere between Bowman ND and Jamestown ND, I was hit by a thunderstorm which dropped more water on that part of the state since 1884 - maybe four inches in two hours. Crosswinds gusted to fifty mph and threatened to tear my deer damaged nose piece off the car. It was flapping. At 80, the car felt skittery on the road. It wasn’t hydroplaning but the Dakota roads weren’t getting rid of the water and I sat up straight and paid attention. Since the wipers couldn’t keep up with the rain I slowed to 70.

Northern Illinois, outside Chicago had the worst drivers in North America (including even the Quebec French). They were doing 85 in a 55 mph zone and passing from any lane. Crawling along the Dan Ryan Xpressway wasn’t fun either.

The trial field at the last Wisconsin trial could only be reached by fording a narrow creek with steep creekbanks and proceeding up a ridge via a tractor trial. All the other competitors had 4wd. I worried I might high center or bottom out but with judicious driving and limited slip, I made it to the top and back down to asphalt again.

The trick to getting from point a to point b six-thirteen hours apart isn’t how fast you can drive - unless you enjoy jail time you can’t drive 100 mph for very long on any US highway anyway. The trick is the pit stops: as few as possible. The Boulevard Cruiser is unusually roomy and comfortable. Now that it handles well, I only stop when the gas light goes on. I am rarely passed and can cover more miles in a day - day after day - than most cars on the road.

In Ohio, I was passed by the only Ferrari I’ve seen on the trip. Beautiful car. Probably came up to the bottom of my steering wheel. Because I’ve an EZPass transponder, I drove right through the next set of tollgates. He was stuck in line behind four trucks and since it was one lane construction after the tollgates, I didn’t see him again.

Donald McCaig

Dear Panthers,
    Before and after. Donald
    Attached Files

Comment

Sounds like a fun trip, an interesting one too. Nothing like a panther!

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
      1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
      1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Thanks for the post.
        Last edited by pine box; 06-05-2007, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Glad you had a good trip. 21+ mpg is definitely not bad considering the speed and weight you're hauling. There is a whole lot to be said for driving comfort on a long trip though. Sure an econo-box might burn less gas, but most of them are horrible to ride or drive for any extended period. Big cars might drink more fuel, but thats the price one pays for being able to get out of the car and move once you arrive.

I also completely know what you mean about the upgraded suspension being very nice to drive once you get used to how it handles. My car used to be a chore to drive, all the suspension parts were really far gone, it had bad tires, bad alignment, everything. It was rebuilt with all brand new parts, using almost exactly the same setup you have and it was like driving a completely different vehicle. What used to be a bowl of jello that required constant correction to maintain a lane became a pleasant highway machine that just eats miles with ease.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Dear Panthers,
            Gadget's right - at the end of a long drive I can get out of the car. The Scottified suspension, steering and brakes makes the car both safer and less tiring to drive. At many trials I'm up at 5, grab coffee, drive to a fairgrounds or park to let the dogs run and empty, drive to the trial ground, run two or three dogs - very focused, high stress - exercise all four again. At noon off to the next trial 6 hours away. Exercise and empty dogs, grab some dinner and to bed.

The reimagined Boulevard Cruiser is the best long distance/ big load car I've ever ridden in. There are many cars as comfortable, many vans will carry more. But none as comfortable, fast - and reasonably economical - to carry two or three people, all their gear, four dogs, all their gear for thousands of miles of Interstate and at the end drive through and park in a roadless hilly pasture.

Donald McvCaig

Comment

Sorry to see the deer damage
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

i'm glad you are happy with the work on the car donald.......sad to see the deer damage, but it could have been worse......i hit a deer with my towny in 05......only damage was a cracked parking light lens.....i got lucky
                i need to upgrade my steering, i have 21 year old lower control arm bushings, and a tired out stock steering box, and the factory pitman arm, which is still good at 200,000 mi??
                the cruiser will be even more pleasurable to drive with every visit to skippyville.......have no clue what the ac problem you experienced was......should replace the bean can anyway next round........hey donald i do maintenance on scoobydoo's too!........love them flat 4's lol
                scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

scottified suspension.......haha i like that!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Sounds good. Sorry to hear you hit a dear, but from the pic atleast it looks like you only need a header panel. That is funny you have border collies riding in the wagon, my dog which is border collie and lab mix (looks more like a border collie though) loves to ride in my wagon.
                    2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Not too bad of damage, at least.
                      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

sounds like an awesome trip!

I think I am only an hour from you... let me know if I can help you with something too small to warrant a trip to PA
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                        X