No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi.
    I am trying to help my neighbour. He is retired and has a 1971 Marquis 402.
    I will try a search to look through this forum to help him get his car road ready.
    He had to move it after storage for many years, it started but once it got to road speed, smelt awful (I was told) and it would stall. Idles ok but that is all.
    He did mention the lead additive was used.

Suggestions? I will search too.

Hello and thanks for taking any time to help me help out my neighbour.

to GMN.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Welcome to gmn mang......

Where are you located???
      1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
      FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

welcome, you should post that question in the tech section,,,

Comment

How long was the car sitting?

If you want to make it road ready change all of the fluids; oil, antifreeze, brakes, trans, etc. Check your tires for dry rot and flat spots. Check the brakes for wear, leaks, stuck calipers. Suspension and steering should have minimal play, if a bushing is too worn look for a replacement. The carb probably needs to be cleaned and probably the gas tank too. Find a rebuilt kit for the carb and get all of the old gummed up gasoline out of it.

Im sure someone else will chime in with more to look over.

Good luck with the car!
          -Matt
          1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

to GMN!
            sorry, I can't help with that problem, but welcome mang.
            sigpic
            1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

The lead additive would be a good idea for those old heads...

Plugs, wires, air filter, oil/coolant change, belts, hoses, and probably a new set of points wouldn't hurt, and probably make it run like new!

Pics of this tank?
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Welcome!
                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Welcome! When you say it smelled awful, do you mean the car itself or the exhaust?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                  1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                  But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

with the age of that car...maybe both.
                    sigpic
                    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

71' my parents were in elementry school or middle school

Comment

the gas is probably really old and bad......need to get the old gas out, and some fresh premium.....rebuild the carb, give it a tune up

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

to GMN!

+1 for getting a siphon pump to get rid of the ages-old gasoline; that can cause its own share of problems right there. I'm not familiar with the 402 engine; I assume you're talking about the 402ci modified-Cleveland-design engine known as the 400 Modified?

Easiest solution overall, assuming the motor is okay mechanically, might be to throw on a new/rebuilt carb and distributor, perhaps just stock replacements from AutoZone, and go from there. It's more expensive than a rebuild kit (maybe $300 versus about $20), but if that's not a big issue, it can save a lot of headaches. For not a lot more money, it's possible to upgrade to an aftermarket carb such as an Edelbrock 1406 (about $270 new; should bolt to a factory four-barrel intake) and convert to electronic ignition such as the later Duraspark system. Also can't hurt to change the fuel filter between the pump and the carb, as well as the pickup screen inside the fuel tank. I've got two extra screens laying around, one for the 5/16" pickup and one for 3/8", if that helps.
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

It may also be a 429...
                            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

one can only hope. :banana:
                              sigpic
                              1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                              X