Help Identifying Plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Identifying Plug

I've noticed this plug (circled red) under the hood for some time. I know the other two are test ports but have no clue what this one is for, or if it should be plugged into something. There is one wire leading into the back, and it is Blue/Purple, though is looks sorda green purple due to age. The shape of the plug reminds me of the one for the power antenna. Any ideas? Thanks in adavance.
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
    Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

It comes from the computer harness and plugs into a wire that goes into the cabin harness through the firewall. According to my fresh new set of wiring diagrams, it's the wire to the tripminder from the computer. Mine is plugged in, since I have the tripminder.
    I also found this on this site...

Pablito04-30-2005, 09:48 PM
    I'm going to do this very thing to my GM. As far as the wiring already being there... it's possible, but I haven't really spent a lot of time looking for mine.

I did quite a bit of research on installing the tripminder already, and here's what I came up with:

Existing wiring harness
    I found a flat, 10 pin connector under my dash just above the brake pedal bracket, but it didn't fit onto the tripminder I pulled out of a CV from the junkyard (it was keyed differently). This connector had enough slack in the harness to where I could see it being able to reach the center of the dash.

T-Birds and other cars use a completely different harness for the tripminder than panthers do (theirs has a "box" 10-pin connector that you have to modify, or make an adapter harness to the flat 10 pin connector). I could be wrong about this tidbit because I didn't really look that much into it because I don't own a T-bird, but from what I've found by searching that's what I think.

Does it matter if you have the harness or not?
    No.
    4 of the 6 wires needed for the tripminder are already there. All you have to do is add two more wires.

One wire should be spliced in to the existing wire that resides in pin34 to the ECM. Pin34 is used for monitoring the fuel system. The wire is Light Blue with a purple stripe.

The second wire splices into one of the 2 wires that come off the speed sensor at the end of the speedo cable at the transmission. That wire is Dark Green with a white stripe.

The actual colors of your wires may be different, but Ford typically keeps the color codes pretty much the same throughout the years unless they have a damn good reason to change them. The diagram I have for an '87 5.0 box is pretty much identical to what I've seen so far on my '86 5.0 GM.... colors and all.

Now on my '86 MGM I didn't have a speed sensor because I didn't have cruise control. So I picked up a speed sensor from the yard.

Here's a diagram for the tripminder I cropped from a wiring schematic for an '87 box with a 5.0.
    http://www.bestbuyvictory.com/images/misc/tm.jpg

Without the two additional wires connected the tripminder will still work, but the functions associated with fuel economy/remaining will not.

There's 2 things I still don't know.

-The 10 pin connector in my car may be ok, but I have to spend a little quality time with it and a meter to verify it.

-I don't know if I need to install a cruise control amplifier to work with the speed sensor. I don't think I'll need do, but until I actually try it on my next day off I can only take an educated guess.

I plan to install cruise control on my GM, and so far I have all the parts necessary except for a clean, blue steering wheel with the buttons. So until I find the wheel I need I plan to install the tripminder anyway.

Hope this helps!

My next day off will be tuesday so I should know more then after I play around with it for a while.

-Paul
    1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
    1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
    1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

Is it perhaps the wire circled in red below? I thought the two only wires (6 total) required to add the Tripminder in place of the stock digital clock were the Fuel Flow and Speed Signal, and that they were located down by the brake pedal. I just want to make sure it's plugged in to something if it needs to be. My car just has the digital clock w/ cruise control.
      Attached Files
      sigpic
      1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
      Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Its the fuel flow wire for the tripminder. Should be light blue with a pink tracer, goes to pin 34 on the ECM.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

hmm...as the tree said to the lumberjack..."I'm stumped"
          sigpic
          1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
          X