{Electrical} brake light switch R&R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{Electrical} brake light switch R&R

Hey guys on my 89 MGM my brake lights dont go on till the pedal is almost to the floor, i know there is a switch/sensor that controls this.

Is this something that i can adjust or do i just buy a new one and install it?
    If so how hard is it to change out?
    1999 CVPI
    Old Rides
    1988 Ford Mustang GT (trickflow stage 1)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (5.SLO)
    1989 Ford Thunderbird SC (3.8 Supacharged)

Get a new one, but, make sure you get it at a Ford dealership. The parts store ones don't work, you'll end up with the same problem. I tried 2 before I was told about this.

I beleive it's technical name is a stop lamp switch...but they should know what you're talkin about if you ask for a brake light switch.

It's a little difficult to get too, but not bad. Just need to lay on your back and get up under the dash. It's above the brake pedal.
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

I was cussin and swearing just getting the connector off mine so I could tap it wire for my LED 3rd brake light... I must not have been holding my mouth right
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

The switch travels with the pedal, using the slack between the pushrod and its mounting pin to activate the switch. The wires also get flexed every time the pedal moves. My guess is that one of the wires is broken internally, and flexes just the right way when the pedal is all the way down to make a connection.

Comment

+1

The switch is a bit of pain to get to, but it's a pretty simple arrangement. I suppose the switch itself could go bad if it got corroded for some reason. It's also very easy to wire it with hardware-store female spade connectors in a pinch (as I've done on one of mine when I threw up my hands at the combined brake light/turn signal light concept and needed brake lights NOW).
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Well i kinda took off my old one without looking how to put it back in place. Can anyone here help me lol
            1999 CVPI
            Old Rides

Comment

It's a bit of a pain, but not too bad. The two tabs with holes in them go on the big pin that hold the brake pedal to the plunger. I think I just located the tabs on either side of the brake pedal and wiggled stuff around till I could stab the pin through all three pieces. The plug side of the switch faces toward the driver. Then just hook up the wires and put in the little E-clip or cotter pin or whatever, and you should be done.

Comment

Can any of you guys snap a pic of it setup correctly. I thought i put mine back on right but no such luck. the only other cars i have out here to look at is a 94towncar, 98crown vic or , 88 stang gt

Would those have similiar setup?
                1999 CVPI
                Old Rides

Comment

I'm almost certain the '88 Stang should have the exact same switch. Not sure about the later cars, though. I'll check later to see if I can get a decent picture of mine (easy to see with the dash out).

Comment

To install:

- Position the switch so the U-shaped side is nearest the pedal and directly over/under the pin. Then slide the switch down/up trapping the master cylinder pushrod and black bushing between the switch side plates.

- Push the switch and pushrod assembly firmly toward the brake pedal arm.

- Assemble the outside white plastic washer to the pin and install the hairpin retainer to trap the whole assembly.

- Attach the wire harness connector to the switch.

Pic 1 swiped from Rockauto (I think).
                    Pic 2 swiped from Autozone 68-88 page (no 89 pics)

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by MasterBlaster; 06-11-2007, 05:37 AM.

Comment

thank you master blaster your assistance will help others for years to come
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Awsome man thanks, Imma check into it tommorow.
                        Anyone know where i can get all these nylon washers some of mine look like they have seen some better days
                        1999 CVPI
                        Old Rides

Comment

yeah thanks blaster sorry for the thread jacking Mine kicked the shit today people keep almost rear ending me

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                          302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                          k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

well I just finished installing my brake light switch I must say the hardest part was taking the electrical connector off and back on. hard to get connector on when your lying on your back under the dash. lol

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                            302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                            k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

i think that the switch is bad on the 1986 brown Grand Marq we have now. at night, the tail lights and signals werk, but the brake lights no werky. i am gonna check bulbs, ground and stuff before i mess with the switch. trying to check easiest to hardest.

question is, if brake switch is bad... would the signals and running lights still werk but when brake is pushed they wont light up like tthey're supposed to?
                              Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Working...
                              X