my heater core blew up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my heater core blew up...

i had a doctor appointment today and on the way there going down the interstate, my heater core blew. not cool when you are doing 65mph and all of a sudden your windshield fogs over. it had time to cool while i was at the doctor's office, but i had to get to work after leaving there. i plan on bypassing it till i get time to work on it.

this is how it looked and this picture is after i got home from work. i thought the car was in flames or something since at first it looked like smoke and the window clouded over. i put my hand by the window and realized it was water vapor. something else i have to worry about now, like that's all i needed.
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Holy Smoke!

Man that aint good, sorry.

Comment

yes i've seen the smoke come out teh dash many times

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Mine is going to do that soon, too. Under normal driving it's fine, but on the odd occasion when I wrap it out, I'll get that nice little wiff of anti-freeze smell from the vents. There is a job I am NOT looking forward to.
        1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
        1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
        1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

have fun changing that thats gonna suck replacing

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
          302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
          k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

oh it isnt that bad gabe

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

In the mornings the windshield fogs up a little on the passenger side and sometime I can smell antifreeze. I'm pretty sure the core is leaking somewhere, even though it's only 5 or 6 years old. Stupid cars.
              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
                Mine is going to do that soon, too. Under normal driving it's fine, but on the odd occasion when I wrap it out, I'll get that nice little wiff of anti-freeze smell from the vents. There is a job I am NOT looking forward to.
                x2

About every 2 weeks or so during a WOT event (they happen often) I will smell that infamous burning coolant smell

I wonder if I should do a preemptive strike and replace my heater core.
                1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
                FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

better to replace it than be going down the interstate like i was when it went out. it will fog your windshield and make you blind.
                  Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

it really wasnt that bad of a job when I did it.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Originally posted by 87vicFIVEO View Post
                      x2

About every 2 weeks or so during a WOT event (they happen often) I will smell that infamous burning coolant smell

I wonder if I should do a preemptive strike and replace my heater core.
                      Yes. At the least, put a washer on the inlet side of the core to restrict the flow a bit. Mine was doing the same thing, went racing someone, pop. Its not the end of the world changing one, but its not fun. I wouldn't be screwing with it on a hot day. If it pops during the summer, bypass it and change it in the fall when it cools off.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Some of you guys must be pretty talented with interiors, or else insanely lucky. Bypassing the heater core after it blew took about 2 minutes before driving home, but those little studs holding the plenum in place just turned and turned and turned and I couldn't get the thing out without disassembling the whole darn dash.
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

when you've done a few, they seem to fall out.........gettin it all back together working is the fun trick tho lol

Comment

I didn't pull the plenum. Too much bs involved. I pulled the dash off the firewall and took the core out through the top. Pics are in my reader's rides thread.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's friggin easy once you've done 10+
                              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                              X