Did we know this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did we know this?

Electric fuel pump circuits are equipped with an interlock system which provides power to the pump during start-up, through the starter relay, and provides operating voltage during engine operation. Should the engine lose oil pressure, the pump is automatically disconnected, stopping the engine.
    2000 Grand Marquis LS
    2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
    1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
    Mercury Owners Group member
    Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

CFI only?
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Not sure, here's the whole article

Description
      Ford Mustang/Capri 1979-1988 Repair Guide

Central Fuel Injection (CFI) is a throttle body injection system in which two fuel injectors are mounted in a common throttle body, spraying fuel down through the throttle valves at the bottom of the body and into the intake manifold.
      All 1984-86 models with CFI are equipped with two electric pumps. A low pressure pump is mounted in the tank and a high pressure pump is externally mounted.

Electric fuel pump circuits are equipped with an interlock system which provides power to the pump during start-up, through the starter relay, and provides operating voltage during engine operation. Should the engine lose oil pressure, the pump is automatically disconnected, stopping the engine.
      Fuel is supplied from the fuel tank by the combination of a low pressure, in-tank fuel pump and a high pressure, in-line fuel pump. The fuel passes through a filter and is sent to the throttle body where a regulator keeps the fuel delivery pressure at a constant 39 psi. The two fuel injectors are mounted vertically above the throttle plates and are connected in line with the fuel pressure regulator. Excess fuel supplied by the pump, but not needed by the engine, is returned to the fuel tank by a steel fuel return line.
      The fuel injection system is linked with and controlled by the Electronic Engine Control (EEC) system.
      2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

thats interesting... that would mean the oil pressure sender/sensor is wired into the ECM.
        If I hadnt removed my oil sender wire Id go ground it out while the car runs to see if this works!!!
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Someone needs to start their engine and then pop the oil drain plug and see what happens!
          1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
          FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Never had a clue. I do know about the fuel pump shut-off switch in fords though.
              -Matt
              1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

that article is wrong.......cfi panthers only have one fuel pump

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

its says the article is for mustang/capri
                  sigpic

Comment

yeah, I don't think the Panther wiring for the idiot senders has any connection with the ECM or fuel pump relay.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Mine don't
                      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 87vicFIVEO View Post
                        Someone needs to start their engine and then pop the oil drain plug and see what happens!
                        I didn't pop the drain plug, but something similar happened to me to prove this theory. My old '90 Crown Vic I owned a year or two ago catastrophically blew its oil pan gasket one damp fall morning while the car was warming up in the driveway. It lost all its oil (and along with it, its oil pressure) and shut itself off, and refused to start up for the next couple days. After a couple days I tried to start it up and it started up fine.

I always figured it was some sort of safety that shut off the engine when it was running way too hot... I guess this is what it was.

Comment

probably you seized the engine lol.

I can tell you with reasonable authority that at least on a 1986 model Panther, there is no connection between the oil pressure switch and the ECM. There is nothing between the fuel pump relay and the pump itself except the inertia switch. Mustangs are probably totally different. This information brought to you by the 1986 Lincoln Town Car EVTM.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That would be a good option for someone to figure out. Shouldn't take much to do for some of the electrical gurus here.
                            2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              probably you seized the engine lol.

I can tell you with reasonable authority that at least on a 1986 model Panther, there is no connection between the oil pressure switch and the ECM. There is nothing between the fuel pump relay and the pump itself except the inertia switch. Mustangs are probably totally different. This information brought to you by the 1986 Lincoln Town Car EVTM.
                              Originally posted by CheeseSteakJim
                              After a couple days I tried to start it up and it started up fine.
                              I highly doubt I seized that engine, because before I had it junked I tried to seize it by alternating between doing brakestands outside my house and doing 65mph with only enough oil to touch the very tip of the dipstick. I warped the heads so badly that it was burning coolant and spraying it out of the area around the headgaskets in the form of white smoke... but I'll be damned if that car wasn't still running when the flatbed came to pick it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X