powersteering question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

powersteering question

anyone ran into their cars temporarily losing power steering or feeling higher effort in steering. i'm mostly seeing it in transition between reverse and forward.

i'm thinking that my belt is slipping on the pulleys as it's aso high effort at high engine rpm (over 4k)

just wondering if anyone else has experienced this before i start throwing some parts on it
    GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
    1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
    99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
    03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
    95 S10 93 Accord

funny my dads old 96 vic did the samething my dad never fixed it car had over 260k it strated doing it right before the dad blow the engine up

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Is that the variable steering assist type, or the non-variable ? If its variable, could be the solenoid is sticking or getting the wrong input. I think unplugging it should default to full assist.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gabegt90 View Post
        funny my dads old 96 vic did the samething my dad never fixed it car had over 260k it strated doing it right before the dad blow the engine up

Comment

i think it's non variable
          GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
          1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
          99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
          03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
          95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Two words: manual steering.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

if its non-variable, not sure. flush it, check the belt tension, and maybe failing all else stick a new pump on there.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Check the universal joint on the steering shaft right below the master cylinder. If it's binding, replace the mid shaft... Can elaborate, if needed... Later Bob

Comment

if im cranking the wheel way too fast i feel like im "beating the pump" on the '94 marquis but it catches up pretty quickly. Overall the engine driven accessories on the mod motor at least in my experience are pretty reliable

Comment

it's not that the pump isn't boosting, trying to make the steering easier, it's that u-joint in the shaft for the steering locatedkinda under the power booster and master cylinder assembly. The u-joint is beginning to seize. I never would have believed it either but, following changing the shaft which contains the u-joint my 96 CVPI with 186,000 miles steers like a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by the viking View Post
                      it's not that the pump isn't boosting, trying to make the steering easier, it's that u-joint in the shaft for the steering locatedkinda under the power booster and master cylinder assembly. The u-joint is beginning to seize. I never would have believed it either but, following changing the shaft which contains the u-joint my 96 CVPI with 186,000 miles steers like a new one.
                      I hand't thought of that. Might have to have a talk with my own U-joint ....
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

from what I've researched, it's not a good idea to try and free up your existing u-joint. The reason it's seized in the first place is it's location in regards to the exhaust. The lube has baked out resulting in metal to metal wear as it pertains to the bearings in the joint itself. Even if you do free it up, you'll create a lot of slop in the joint resulting in possible failure. The one for my CVPI was 70 bucks. Not that I'm made of money or anything but, for 70 bucks it ought to last for the rest of the life of the car and I don't have to dick around with it anymore. One man's opinion.... Later Bob

Comment

He does has EVO / speed-sensitive steering, all 92+ panthers do except 99-02 CVPI

It is normal for the assist to increase with high engine RPM and speed. The assist should not change at low speed/gear shift like that.

Your issue sounds more like steering linkage binding. This is a common issue on higher mileage panthers driven in winter conditions, though, thinking back to your pictures when you first got that car it didn't look like it had seen much salt ...I think.

http://www.p71interceptor.com/steeri...kage/pictures/
                          http://www.p71interceptor.com/steeri...rtnumbers.html
                          Last edited by drock96marquis; 08-05-2007, 11:37 PM.
                          -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
                          My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
                          Modifications
                          Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

BTW, a flush certainly won't hurt
                            -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
                            My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
                            Modifications
                            Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but what fluid do these aeros take? power steering fluid or ATF type F fluid?
                              "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                              -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                              -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X