I'm keeping the waggin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm keeping the waggin'

Well, I tried to sell my waggin on eBay but my reserve was not met. Sorry but I won't give it away to the bargain hunters on eBay. So instead, I've decided to put some work into it and keep it. I have an 85 CV sedan and I absolutely love it. The wagon rides just as nice and you can't even tell that it is a wagon when you drive it. Many people call it my "Drive In Car", I call it my "Mommy Magnet".

I just put on new exhaust (didn't go with dual), new front shocks, new rear leveler coil shocks, and will be getting the exterior detailed, hoping to bring the paint to a shine. The car only has 96K on it and the interior is almost showroom condition. The exterior is good with some rust starting to appear but the frame was undercoated when it was new.

I got it inspected today and the guy behind me was commenting on how nice the car looks. He was surprized to hear that it was a twenty year old car!

I'm planning on making a cross country trip out and back to Nevada in August. I'm sure it will do just fine.
    sigpic
    Mike Pop
    Eureka, NV & Neptune, NJ
    1985 Crown Vic Fire Department Sedan: 351M, Police Package
    1984 Lincoln Town Car Roadster: Saw it's fate at the junk yard
    1987 Crown Vic Wagon: FOR SALE
    Military Vehicles: 1985 Mercedes Unimog, 1952 Jeep M38A1, 1985 Chevy CUCV M1009 Blazer

I see you have a 1985 Crown Vic with a 351M.

Do you have any pics of the 351M? Would like to see how that big block fits in there.
    2000 Grand Marquis LS
    2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
    1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
    Mercury Owners Group member
    Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

No pics of the engine. Can't get to the car until September. It's at my home in Nevada.

Mike
      sigpic
      Mike Pop
      Eureka, NV & Neptune, NJ
      Military Vehicles: 1985 Mercedes Unimog, 1952 Jeep M38A1, 1985 Chevy CUCV M1009 Blazer

Comment

Didn't think they had 351M in that year. Could be a 351W

M is a big block, W is a small block.
        2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

The Modified Cleveland design engines (351M and 400M) weren't a big-block, they were a modified small-block fairly similar to the regular Cleveland but with a big-block bellhousing bolt pattern to bolt up to the HD transmission of the '70s that were all designed to bolt to a big-block.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

My bad.
            Learn something new everyday.
            2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Quite, though I realize I have an abnormal affinity for useless factoids. I finally did some reading about Cleveland-design engines for the same reason I finally learned the differences in a 5.0 HO and 5.0 lowpo - 'cause there's so much misinformation out there. I'm still not 100% clear about the different 400ci General Motors offerings, though, except that the phrase "400 big block" when referring to a Pontiac is meaningless because Pontiac only made one 400ci motor.

One of my favourites so far was a guy selling a Buick ('84-ish GN, actually, but with a severely buggered interior) with a swapped-in Chebby motor, and advertised the engine as a "350 big block"!

Comment

That sounds like a nice wagon.
                -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
                -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

No panther came with a 351M from the factory.
                  '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                  '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

yea no panther with the 351m/400 engine...........mostlikely your wagon is a 351 windsor.........the 335 series was phased out by 1981.....last passenger car to have the 351m/400 was the 1979 lincoln town car........80 and 81 only in f250's and f350's, and i believe only the 400 those two years, i may be wrong
                    if it does have a 335 series engine, then it was swapped over at some time

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

{additional factoid for the uninitiated: "335 series" refers to any Cleveland-design engine: 351C,351M, 400M}

Comment

oops.......the 351m is a destroked 400........they couldnt build enough 351w's after 351c production ceased in 1974 for the mid size cars

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thanks, I'd forgotten the 400M came first. Wikipedia says the 351ci version it used a 351W crank .... is that correct? I would have expected to see Cleveland journal diameters in a Modified.

Comment

I'm not a gearhead and all of this technical stuff is superfluous as far as I am concerned. I am quite sure that I have a 351M in my sedan but I won't be able to check until I return home in August. As for my wagon, it's got a standard 302, fuel injected.
                            sigpic
                            Mike Pop
                            Eureka, NV & Neptune, NJ

Comment

Be interesting to find out, then!

Comment

Working...
                              X