Spark plugs and wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark plugs and wires

How long should a set of sparkplugs and wires be expected to last in a Panther with the spark-waste recovery system, or whateverthehell it is called? I put plugs and wires in last summer, after the car had run like a hunk-o-junk, bucked alot, acted really retarded. That cleared it right up. The car is acting the exact same way again, and several people on this site told me to be prepared to replace the plugs and wires again soon. Would this be considered "way too soon" or about normal?

Also, is there anything one can do (except not drive) that will lengthen the lifespan of these parts? Just curious, all hints and suggestions welcome.
    Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
    Bone stock... for now.

Depends on the quality of the wires and how many miles you put on. If they were cheap, then a year is probably about right. If they were good wires, 50k or so should be normal. I'd try putting new plugs in first, since they're less expensive.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I can't remember the name brand of plug wires I bought... I think the plugs were called Motorcraft, and thw wires were whatever Autozone sells, the come in a box with yellow and black I think... not sure, been a while.

Thanks for the info!

Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Motorcraft are OEM Ford, same as an Autolite really. Good plugs. Wires, hmm, not really sure what Autozone has, maybe Valuecraft ? If its typical Autozone stuff though, probably crappy.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Motorcraft are OEM Ford, same as an Autolite really. Good plugs. Wires, hmm, not really sure what Autozone has, maybe Valuecraft ? If its typical Autozone stuff though, probably crappy.
          Yeah, it was Valuecraft!!!

Usually, if the word "Value" is found in the name of something, it's not to be trusted. I bet the plugs are still decent and it's the Crap-o-craft wires that have taken a crap. But I'll check the plugs this weekend, rule them in or out first.

Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Motorcraft plugs 32pp and some good wires have lasted for about 70k on anges car. She could use some new ones now.
            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

if they're platinum plugs, they should last at least 60k.

if they're not plat plugs, i'd say 30k

i dont know for sure if a 93 had plat plugs or not, check the veci decal under the hood for the plug part number, if there's a p at the end it was a plat plug oem.

now, if you've done less than 25k in the last year, you probably have something else going on that's burning through the plugs fast.
              GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
              1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
              99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
              03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
              95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Wow, pretty impressive lifespan on those parts it would seem. Have you tried testing the plug wires with a multimeter? Not that that would locate an intermittent problem anyway, but one never knows.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                  Wow, pretty impressive lifespan on those parts it would seem. Have you tried testing the plug wires with a multimeter? Not that that would locate an intermittent problem anyway, but one never knows.
                  Unfortunately, I have no such equipment. Guess I should get one... they're usually pretty inexpensive, right?

Bone stock... for now.

Comment

well, crappy ones are inexpensive in the short run

good ones are inexpensive in the long run
                    GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
                    1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
                    99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
                    03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
                    95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
                      Unfortunately, I have no such equipment. Guess I should get one... they're usually pretty inexpensive, right?
                      The digital multimeter I've got was like $15 at Wally World. It's good enough for most basic tasks, especially checking for continuity and seeing whether your alternator is charging .... just don't step on it or it'll like break. (that's why I'm on my second one) :p

Comment

Go out to the car and start pulling the plug wire boots out of the heads....one at a time, of course. Check to see if there is any moisture of water on the boots or water standing in the plug hole. If you have changed the t-stat, I promise there will be water in the #5 plug hole and most likly some in #6.

As for your plug wires you should be good. To put my two cents in, the BogWarner Super Mag Cores are my plug wire of choice on these cars. Why? The coil packs are known for cracks all over, the terminals the plug wires slide over are really bad causing spark cross. Most wires you can buy only cover half of the terminal tower, while the BorgWarner Super Mag Cores cover the whole terminal!

Anyone, go to O'Reilly's and check them out. You'll see the diffrence!

The coil packs of the early years are known for cracks under the packs. Take'm off and look for cracks.
                        Do it with a 5spd!

Comment

Pics of BorgWarner Wires

I would have to a pic of the stock style wire for comparison, but didn't have one laying around.

The other pic is a good example of how easy water/coolant can get in to the plug holes.

Also if your crazy about washing out the engine bay, most likly water in the holes.
                          Attached Files
                          Do it with a 5spd!

Comment

Originally posted by 95crwnvic54 View Post
                            Pics of BorgWarner Wires

I would have to a pic of the stock style wire for comparison, but didn't have one laying around.

The other pic is a good example of how easy water/coolant can get in to the plug holes.

Also if your crazy about washing out the engine bay, most likly water in the holes.
                            Another Kentuckian!!! Cool, I'm from Loserville, er, uh, Louisville, originaly.

I have never washed the engine bay. I have hardly ever washed the whole car.

I'd guess my plugs and wires have between 15-20,000 miles on them. I don't think they were platinum, I just bought what the Autozone computer said I needed. If they are not platinum, is there ay reason to upgrade to platinum?

Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Probably shouldn't be; regular copper-core plugs are supposed to be fine for most applications. Might be some differing opinions on here from 4.6 owners, though - I don't really know.

Comment

Working...
                              X