Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible Faulty MLPS in '94 Grand Marquis

Long time reader, first time poster.

I drive a '94 Grand Marquis and lately the tranny will randomly drop out of gear on the highway and feel like neutral. Sometimes it will make a random downshift to 3rd or 2nd when cruising on a flat level road and sometimes it feels like it hangs up in neutral but if you slow down to 30mph it will pick up first and hold it but as soon as i back off the throttle it will drop to neutral and not give me the rest of the gears for a minute. Does this sound like a MLPS issue? When its not acting up it runs like any aero-body mod motor panther should.

Thanks for all your help.

Have you checked your fluid levels? Low fluid can cause a transmission to do all sorts of weird things.

Also, check your TV cable bushing, located on the throttle body, and make sure it is not disintegrated.
    Nick
    88 Colony Park LS
    G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
    Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Originally posted by Spaz View Post
      Long time reader, first time poster.

I drive a '94 Grand Marquis and lately the tranny will randomly drop out of gear on the highway and feel like neutral. Sometimes it will make a random downshift to 3rd or 2nd when cruising on a flat level road and sometimes it feels like it hangs up in neutral but if you slow down to 30mph it will pick up first and hold it but as soon as i back off the throttle it will drop to neutral and not give me the rest of the gears for a minute. Does this sound like a MLPS issue? When its not acting up it runs like any aero-body mod motor panther should.

Thanks for all your help.
      Yes, it sounds like a MLPS issue. Run codes, and see if anything comes up.

Comment

Originally posted by 88MercWagon View Post
        Also, check your TV cable bushing, located on the throttle body, and make sure it is not disintegrated.
        Nice try, but late 92 up uses an AODE, meaning the transmission is electronic and does NOT have a TV bushing or cable.

93-95 cars are notorious for the MLPS being faulty. like BSP says, run the trouble codes.
        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

thanks so much for the responses. My fluid level is good and the fluid looks clean as it was changed less than 10000 miles ago.
          I have never had the o/d off light flash at me but when i bring it into the tranny shop i'll have them scan it.
          Just curious does anyone know how to get a new horn button for the '90-'95 steering wheel the one on the right of mine came off and i think the plastic clip thats supposed to be on it is broken off.
          What can i expect to pay for them changing out the MLPS?

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
            Nice try, but late 92 up uses an AODE, meaning the transmission is electronic and does NOT have a TV bushing or cable.

93-95 cars are notorious for the MLPS being faulty. like BSP says, run the trouble codes.
            Nick
            88 Colony Park LS
            G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
            Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

just got it changed an hour ago so far so good. I'll do some highway running to try it out. The chassis and components under the car looked pretty so thats good.

Comment

Working...
              X