Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6.5" Front Speaker install options in an 88 with crank windows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5" Front Speaker install options in an 88 with crank windows.

So, way back when, i grabbed the premiu sound speaker pods outta my 90 with the intention of installing the new 6.5" MTX's I had kicking around in the 88. I did not take into account that the 88 has crank windows, and a totally different doorpanel setup than an 88 with power windows. Needless to say, the pods dont work cause the crank hits them. I can mount the speakers flat in the door, but that means I gotta cut a big hole in my door panels, something I've held back on cause I've never found another set in any junkyard, or even seen one around here that didnt have power everything. My front doors also have these kinda storage pouches attached to them. one was falling apart, so I took it off to see what it looked like without it, and it left a bunch of holes in my door panel. BUT, I cant install any speakers in the door without removing the pouches. Speakers are too deep to mount in the dash like stock, and would require a ton of modifcation. Ideas or opinions anyone?
    sigpicVic Videos Here http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...676#post243676
    Vic's Reader's Rides Page http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=16917
    Vic's Cardomain page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2532949
    1975 Chevy C-10 Cardomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3371894

I have rather large magnet structure 6.5" speakers in my doors. My speakers have a very rigid speaker frame (cast aluminum) so instead of cutting a larger hole in the door I simply put the speaker in till the frame was resting on the hole. Then I drilled the 4 holes and screwed it down. But if the speaker has a normal relatively flimsy stamped steel frame, you have to worry about distorting the frame when you mount it like this. The window cranks are about 1/16" from hitting the speaker grills, but they do clear and never scratch them. One thing to consider is the actual depth. If I had cut a larger hole and mounted the speakers flat on the door, the window would actually hit the speaker when you cranked it down. So even if you could you wouldn't want to mount a 6.5" speaker flush on the door (unless it was low profile or something). Keep in mind that I'm saying that my speakers stick out 3" from the doors. The space between the speaker mounting surface and the door surface (the metal door surface) is no more than 1/2"-1". The gap is perfect since the result is the speaker is flush with the door panel. Check my CarDomain and you can see some pics of it.

Comment

I am sorry for this threadjacking , but since we are on the subject, what size are the speakers in the rear deck of box CVs (specifically 86 CV LX)? I yanked the Pioneer 6x9s out of the Malibu and need a home for them.

Packman

Comment

6x9 Packman...

You could get rid of the carpet on the door panels and cover them in a fabric of your choice. That's what I'm doing soon. That will get rid of the holes.
        '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

*EDIT*

Had a little typo in there....

Keep in mind that I'm NOT saying that my speakers stick out 3" from the doors.

Comment

i would get different door panels from the junkyard. below is my description.

here are some pics of my door speakers. my car didnt have door speakers originally so i had to cut the door panel, not the door. those are 6.5" Dual Blue Illuminite Speakers. i had to run 3 wires to the speakers since they light up. i used a straightened coat hanger with a small hook to feed the line thru the rubber line that has all the other wires. i wrapped/twisted a 3 inch section of wire to the and taped it to hold it to the hanger. i just cut the door panel as mentioned above and you cant tell i did so. ask anybody at SF how the speakers looked. i will try to get a night picture up to show you how they look at nite.

bought the speakers relatively cheap from wal-mart and have them hooked to switches to turn off and on on the dash by the shifter.
            Last edited by 87_crown_vic; 01-30-2008, 10:25 AM.
            Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Working...
            X