Cloudy Headlamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloudy Headlamps

i had really cloudy/yellowing headlamps on the '94 marquis so i picked up a prematex headlamp restoration kit at the auto parts store and did the wet sanding with 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 grit sandpaper and then rinsed the lamps off and polished them with the supplied plastic polish they looks pretty much 90% new i'll let ya know in a few hours how they've improved in nighttime driving

if they are bad enough, you fail sate inspection here for clouded headlamps
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

What I don't understand is why people spend time and money trying to refurbish old crappy ones... when a set of two new ones can be had on ebay for $50- $75. I'd rather save up and buy those than waste my time trying to make old ones usable again.

That being said, I applaud those who take time and do things the hard way. I'm curious to see how those turned out. I'm looking for a home for my old ones... they're hardly yellowed.

Comment

i spent 10 bucks so no big deal i noticed after i was done my pass side headlamp has a little condensation inside, but otherwise they look new

Comment

update- went out for a late night drive- better headlamp performance than my parents 2002 camry.

Comment

yes... $10 and some elbow grease - the satisfaction is priceless
            Thats why people waste thier time trying to refurbish old crappy ones...
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Now that you have restored them, use Meguiar's PlastiX regularly (say..... every time you wax the car) to maintain

It works great to keep the headlamps looking new:
              -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
              My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
              Modifications
              Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

thanks for the advice. I'll pickup some plasticx later today.
                By the way, congrats on Panther of the Month! Well deserved.

Comment

To get rid of the condensation, take the light out and drill a small hole at the bottom of the light to drain the water.
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                    To get rid of the condensation, take the light out and drill a small hole at the bottom of the light to drain the water.

This will work, and I almost did it with my H4 conversion, except I didn't want to mess up the housings. I spent a fortune and then the damn things devloped lots of condensation right away. I wanted to smash all of them.

My solution was clear silicone. Run a bead around where the lens connects to the body (smooth it out and make it look nice). Also anywhere on the backside where water/ moisture may get in (this was the culprit for me). I didn't drill the holes, just sealed the backsides of the lamps... no problems since. The small tube of silicone was a little more than a buck at the local parts store. make sure it is 100% silicone, as this is 100% water resistant.

You can find all kinds of remedies online. I've even heard of putting the housings in the oven, baking them for a short time, and then pressing the lens against the housing to reseal (not something I'd try). Supposedly the plastic the lens is made of (polycarbonate?) doesn't bond well. (Not the best thing to makes lenses of then, no?)
                    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

the condensation is currently concentrated in the area of the hi-beam so it isn't an issue as far as functionality goes. maybe if i have the time i'll take the unit out and address the problem

Comment

The PlastiX stuff is very good like Drock96marquis was saying. You just have to keep polishing it until the abrasives in it break down which was my first mistake when I tried it. I do prefer the upkeep on my sealed beams though, I just put some Rain-X on them which which is my version of the Mercedes headlight wipers.
                        sigpic
                        1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                        Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

i wish i had sealed beams they seem so simple

Comment

If you have condensation, remove the housing and seal around the edge with clear or black rtv. Once cured, pour some rubbing alchohol inside and shake it around - this will get rid of any dirt and moisture inside. Allow to air dry in a non-humid area. Once dry, lubricate the o-ring for the bulb with dielectric grease on reassembly.
                            -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
                            My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
                            Modifications
                            Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

Originally posted by drock96marquis View Post
                              If you have condensation, remove the housing and seal around the edge with clear or black rtv. Once cured, pour some rubbing alchohol inside and shake it around - this will get rid of any dirt and moisture inside. Allow to air dry in a non-humid area. Once dry, lubricate the o-ring for the bulb with dielectric grease on reassembly.
                              +1

I let mine dry out in the air conditioning for a day and a half. I also sealed them up in the air conditioning to avoid humid air entering the housing.
                              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                              X