Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine swap...

Hey,
    Just bought a 92 CrownVic LX with 88,000kms on it but the frame is rotted underneath, I payed $300 for it so I am looking at swapping the engine out and putting it into my 92 GrandMarquis LS.... is there anything that could go wrong? or is there any modifications that I would have to make.
    1992 GrandMarquis LS
    The boat with the sound.

'92 is a hard year for swaps because panthers built after 2/12/92 have the AODE and the appropriate bellhousing bolt pattern on the 4.6 to match it, while earlier build cars have the old hydraulicly controlled AOD (like the boxes) mated to a "Bastard Block 4.6" which has the bellhousing bolt pattern cast specially for the old AOD.

Comment

x2

if you have the same tranny, you will be fine.

2000 HPP Mods
      15.2 @ 89.13mph-1/4 mile
      9.73 @ 72.01mph-1/8 mile

Comment

Originally posted by Spaz View Post
        '92 is a hard year for swaps because panthers built after 2/12/92 have the AODE and the appropriate bellhousing bolt pattern on the 4.6 to match it, while earlier build cars have the old hydraulicly controlled AOD (like the boxes) mated to a "Bastard Block 4.6" which has the bellhousing bolt pattern cast specially for the old AOD.
        Has anyone ever put a 4.6 in a box before?

Comment

gotta make sure both 92's have the same engine......92's built up to 2/15/92 have an aod and the 4.6 has the 5.0 bolt pattern.........the 4.6 for the aode has a different bellhousing pattern

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

or just take teh trans and engine out and swap teh whole thing

may have to swap the drive shaft and crossmember but so, it's easy! and possibly the electronics, but that's all there so it's not hard
            GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
            1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
            99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
            03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
            95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Has it ever been done?

Comment

anythings possible with enough money, tools, and time.

i dont know if it's been done.
                GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
                1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
                99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
                03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
                95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Anyways thanks for all the info... I acctually found a guy that would do it for 500 if he got to keep the vic and old engine... I finally talked him into letting me take w/e I wanted off the Vic... is there anything I should really take thats important? or pricey parts normally?
                  1992 GrandMarquis LS
                  The boat with the sound.

Comment

Working...
                  X