Engine Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Questions

I'm going to be calling some local yards in an attempt to find a 351W to start working on. This should have happened a long time ago, but I've been slacking. It's time to do work.

Some questions:
    Roughly what should I expect to pay? Will I be expected to pull the engine myself, or will they have a pile of engines already taken out? (I'm sure this probably varies from yard to yard.) Will (or should) they offer a warranty that the block isn't toast?

When I pick up the engine (Thursday or Friday if I have good luck), should I start to disassemble it, or just take it straight to a machine shop? If the answer is machine shop, what do I request be done to it? Also, how do I find a reputable machine shop that won't screw me over?

As far as the engine itself, is there anything to look out for? Certain things I should look for or stay away from, or are all 351Ws pretty much created equal?

Pete(Mercmarquis) should be able to offer some good advice for ya on this.

I would post around on Mustang forums and see if there's anyone in your area that has a decent block they dont need.
    I would also check out sites like junkyarddog.com and tell them what you need...look for local stuff very cheap...obviously, do not ship it, it will cost you a fortune...a 5.0 block alone weighs over 120lbs and a 351W is very similar.

Pete gave me a great deal on my block...60bux...and we both drove about 1/2way for me to pick it up.
    but a normal machine shop will prolly charge you about 250ish to clean up a block I think.
    they could look it over during that time and make sure its solid..but most 302s and 351Ws are great motors...mine had no cracks at all.
    to have it cleaned, brought up to spec and have the rotating assembly assembled should prolly cost around 750ish I'd say...but in that case you would provide your own rods pistons and rings.
    I would recommend getting a set of pistons that are .030" or .040" over bore to make sure the cylinder walls are nice and SMOOTH.
    mine are .030 over, but pete did .040 over....his will be a 359(as he posted in Panther Muscle) and I think .030 over would be like 357ish.
    sigpic
    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

I've been checking out craigslist, etc., but haven't found anything yet. If the junkyards end up wanting a fortune for them, I will keep looking. But if I can find a decent deal at one of them (whatever that may be), I'll probably go that route.

Comment

So I've been reading some of the Mustang forums, and it appears they prefer either 1970's blocks for strength, or the roller blocks that came in 94+ trucks.

Comment

I'd just get the engine and do a compression test on it--as long as it looks good, why bore it out? When I pulled apart the 351 in my CV with 159k on it, you could still see the hone marks. If you want to rebuild it just to make yourself feel better, go ahead, but I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

He'll probably have to have work done on the cylinders anyway, if an engine has been sitting for years in a junkyard it's guaranteed to have rust in the cylinders. That shit has to be cleaned out of there before the engine is run.
            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
            Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Yeah, I'd rather be safe than sorry. There was a ton of new parts showing up in yards around here after Katrina, so the chances of getting an engine that was at one time full of water are higher than in other areas, I'm guessing. If everything gets taken apart and looks beautiful, I probably won't have much done to it. I'm not looking to make a huge ci engine, just bored as much as is required.

Comment

turbo has a 351 for sale.....he's in ky

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Too bad you're not closer. I Have three 351's. Two from 88-91 CVPI's, and an older truck engine.

I know the 351 in my last CV had too much crank case pressure (lots of oil in the breather; blowing oil out the dipstick tube at the end). When we tore it down there was nothing left of the bearings either. My current 351 car seems to have solid engine, very clean inside, but I've never seen the main/ rod bearings.

I'd definitely say a rebuild it, especially if you're putting more power to it.

The early 351W's have beefier main webs IIRC. The 94+ truck blocks are roller cam compatible (not sure if all were roller cam, if any were roller cam,or if they're just compatible).

However, unless you're building serious power, you should be fine with any old block that is structurally sound. The early blocks are probably expensive anyway.

Hope you get something solid for a good foundation.
                  **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                  **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                  **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                  **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Junkyard here in PC have them by freaking dozen. 150-250. How many ya want?
                    2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

Are they already pulled? Can you give me the number? I'll take at least one, for now. Once I get it built I'll start on a second...

Also, if you know their warranty policy, that'd be helpful too.

Comment

well my bit of advice is wait... wait till you cannot wait any longer..

I waited 3 years for a 351 windsor. and i happen to run into an old friend at a car show and he sold me the block with heads and everything for 350 bucks.. and it runs flawless.

I might even be willing to sell it to you.

i have midified it quite a bit but its just sitting on a stand with a run kit hooked up..

Comment

do it have a edelbrock intake and a 600 holley on these cheaper motors andd a higher out put cam and the big heads?
                          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I want to do some of the work myself, for the experience. Pensacola is only an hour away, I don't want to drive or have an engine shipped across the country. I've already learned shipping big heavy things across the country has the tendency to get a little on the expensive side.

Comment

The search for an engine continues. Brian (460 Panther) had offered to try some of the yards in Pensacola for me, which I greatly appreciate. His results are summarized here. Pensacola right now is a bust.

However, it turns out a coworker of my dad ran a performance shop in Mobile for many years. A relative of his has taken over the business, and is expecting to hear from me. The good news is this is one of the best shops in Mobile (Rick's Machine Shop, for anyone familiar), and where my friends have recommended I go to have my work done. Said coworker also suspects the shop may have an engine ready to go, or at least a good core to have them start work on. I will update with more information when I hear from them, I plan to stop in and meet the guy on Thursday.

Comment

Working...
                              X