Transmission fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission fluid

I am planning to change my transmisson fluid.
    I searched and couldn't locate any information

My dipstick says Dexron II

I have about 5 qts of Dexron III sitting in my garage and a couple Type Fs.

Are the compatible?

Any suggested types?

How many qts?

My fluid still looks red, but my intermitent overdrive loss makes me want to change the filter.
    2000 Grand Marquis LS
    2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
    1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
    Mercury Owners Group member
    Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Mixing Dextron III/Mercon (replaced II) and Type F isn't like mixing oil and water. They will mix uniformly. But they are still different. Type F has added friction modifiers made specially for older Ford tranny's, like the Ford- and Cruise-O-Matics and C4's and C6's.

In the old days, people would run Type F in GM tranny's to make them shift firmer and generally better all around from a performance standpoint. But I wouldn't put it in an AOD.

Loosing OD occasionally isn't good. Sounds like a rebuild is coming soon.

If you drain the torque converter and pan, you're looking at about 12 quarts. Just the pan and filter is about 4-5 quarts if I remember correctly.

Get a case of Mercon (not Mercon V) from Ford.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Ok, so Dexron III replaced Dexron II. No wonder I couldn't find it
      2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Once in a while you'll find bottles marked Dex/Merc III and it says on the back that its compatible with transmissions that want Dex II, but not always. But yeah, Dex/Merc III is what you want for an AOD. You can use Merc V, but I probably wouldn't suggest it in a used trans. If its a fresh or very low mileage transmission perhaps but on a 21 year old, it might clean it out so well that it stops working.

I'm also thinking you might want to start saving up for a rebuild. When they start popping out of overdrive it usually means the band is worn out. The earlier trans had a smaller overdrive servo, and poor lubrication in the tailshaft of the transmission, which would cause premature gear failure. Larger OD servo ( B vs the C) came in 86 I think and the rear lube mod was 1988. They can be retrofitted fairly easily though. The earlier trans also had a 3-4 accumulator that would sometimes stick and cause the overdrive band to wear faster. They actually eliminated this totally on later transmissions, which is a big part of the 3-4 clunk that the AOD has. Nothing to soften that shift.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Once in a while you'll find bottles marked Dex/Merc III and it says on the back that its compatible with transmissions that want Dex II, but not always. But yeah, Dex/Merc III is what you want for an AOD. You can use Merc V, but I probably wouldn't suggest it in a used trans. If its a fresh or very low mileage transmission perhaps but on a 21 year old, it might clean it out so well that it stops working.

I'm also thinking you might want to start saving up for a rebuild. When they start popping out of overdrive it usually means the band is worn out. The earlier trans had a smaller overdrive servo, and poor lubrication in the tailshaft of the transmission, which would cause premature gear failure. Larger OD servo ( B vs the C) came in 86 I think and the rear lube mod was 1988. They can be retrofitted fairly easily though. The earlier trans also had a 3-4 accumulator that would sometimes stick and cause the overdrive band to wear faster. They actually eliminated this totally on later transmissions, which is a big part of the 3-4 clunk that the AOD has. Nothing to soften that shift.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It only acted up that one time when I was towing, I would slide it up into OD on down slopes only.

Near the end of the trip I slid it in OD and nothing happened. Once it cooled down it has shifted fine.

I only have 46000 on this transmission
            2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Not supposed to be towing in overdrive. Tsk tsk!

Comment

the 85 aod has the weakest overdrive servo.....the c servo.........if you are towing in overdrive you need to have an a overdrive servo installed....if it's not too late....i'd suggest getting ahould of brian........46,000 miles doesent mean shit......the car is 22 years old....has the fluid ever been changed? do you have a transmission cooler?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yea, my bad. I was only in OD when the hills where big enough that I didn't need to give it any gas, I guess even that was too much. It is ok right now, hasn't acted up since July so keeping my fingers crossed. If it goes I will just get a good one built by Brian.

I will need one for sure once I do the conversion to HO.
                  Can that OD servo be installed alone without major teardown??

Yes fluid was changed before I bought it at 26000 miles.

Yes, have a transmission cooler
                  2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

needs to be torn down to replace the overdrive band.......good idea to replace the clutches and seals and to update the valve body when the trans is apart

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Well, let's hope this one holds on until I can afford to do it right.
                      2000 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post

Completely off-topic sir, but after noting your double-post, does your computer hang up a moment when adding longer replies to this forum? I can't seem to make a reply in under 20,000 words, and it takes forever to get the site to accept it....shorter replies go a hell of a lot faster, and if I click 'reply' too many times, I get double posts in a row....

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                          Completely off-topic sir, but after noting your double-post, does your computer hang up a moment when adding longer replies to this forum? I can't seem to make a reply in under 20,000 words, and it takes forever to get the site to accept it....shorter replies go a hell of a lot faster, and if I click 'reply' too many times, I get double posts in a row....
                          once in a while. Usually if it does that, I click 'go advanced' and it works. I have no idea why it does that, seems to be some gremlin ever since the vb 3.6 upgrade but I haven't got the slightest clue why or how to fix it.

Comment

I always get the flood control message

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              once in a while. Usually if it does that, I click 'go advanced' and it works. I have no idea why it does that, seems to be some gremlin ever since the vb 3.6 upgrade but I haven't got the slightest clue why or how to fix it.
                              Mine does that every once in awhile, too. Like you said, just click "Go Advanced" and then it goes immediately. I figured it was just me lol

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                              1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                              But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Working...
                              X