Howling sound In "D"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howling sound In "D"

Hi guys it's been awhile, nice to be back.

Anyways, for awhile now ive noticed if im sitting in a drivethough (or anywhere)

in drive at a stop.. My engine makes a low howling sound, if I accelerate I dont hear it anymore.

Could this be a vaccum leak?

I think some of the newer cars had a wierd whistle noise from the IAC hose. Its the 3/4" or so hose that comes off the air intake pipe and goes down to the intake, near the throttle body. If thats what it is, there is a revised hose to replace it. You should be able to feel the hose humming along with the noise.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/...ghlight=hum%2A might be of some assistance
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sure it's the motor? The transmissions make some horrid sounds.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

could be, just the symptoms match the hooter hose. Its easy enough to tell either way, the hose vibrates noticeably if thats whats causing the noise. My trans also does make some funny noises so I know what you mean.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

what he's describing sounds like the hooter hose aye
          GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
          1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
          99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
          03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
          95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

I remember my moms car used to make this really loud noise. It sounded like a boat's horn. I can't remember what happened but the sound went away, what was that caused from?

Comment

most likely it is the iac starting to fail or a pulley is going bad.

2000 HPP Mods
              15.2 @ 89.13mph-1/4 mile
              9.73 @ 72.01mph-1/8 mile

Comment

Working...
              X