reviving fading interior colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reviving fading interior colors

is there anyway, short of recovering and replacing, fading interior pieces? christine has teh aroon interior and when i start work on her, one of the areas i want to work on teh most is teh interior. i do need to replace the headliner, rear sail panels, dash pad, and i want to convert my visors,(will explain)

other than the above mentioned pieces, the interior is just faded.

onto the visors, i have teh visors that are held on only with tone mount spot. i want to convert to a set that has the clip to. but i need two red clips and two red visors
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

:bump:

Comment

i think fireman tom could help ya out!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

i know some auto paint suppliers will mix up fabric and vinyl dye and put it in aerosol cans.........i've refinished some interior trim on a few cars.......usually comes out nice.......prep time is most important
        scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

SEM interior Dye...

SEM auto interior spray.... Here is a link to the website. Look for the product at you local paint and body supply tho.. this place is about 2-3 dollars a can more.... The most important thing is prep.. they make a plastic and vinyl cleaner.. get it at the body shop supply... and clean the heck out of the parts! Also, use light even coats and let it dry between coats, it will look alot better....

http://www.autostyles.com/sem.htm#Re...20Vinyl%20Dyes

Here is my dash before....

And after....

As far as the visors, I had mine recovered to match the interior, in vinyl... They look great, cost me $40.00 for both visors...
          So go to the junkyard, get some out of the new Crown Vic, like a 1991 Box Crown Vic.. and have them recovered to match your interior....
          The 91's have the second "tab" that holds the other end of the visor like you want....

Also go to a upholstery shop, and buy the material to recover your headliner while your at it... it is pretty easy, once you get the headliner board out...
          Before...

Use some 3M interior contact cement.. in spray form, put a light even coat on both the board and the back of the matrial, and then gently smooth it in place.. the best way is to lay it on a big table or other surface, and then lay the material face down next to it.. spray both the material and the board and then slowly roll the material back over the headliner board, until the entire piece is covered....just take your time....
          Here is after....

The headliner cost me $10.00 for the adhesive, and about 20.00 for the material

If you want your seats to look new, and they are in good shape, not faded etc.. then do what I did, I took them apart, had the seatcovers washed at a cleaners.. (NOT dry cleaned! Washed.. they have the big commercial washers so they tend to wash better.. and ask them to drip dry them.. no drying!) then re-assembled... They look new! This seat had a red clay stain on the seat.... Some IDIOT threw the gas tank out of the car in on the back seat... also, these seats came out of a car at a junkyard... but were in better condition.. look around, you may find some grannys car that has some nice ones, that just need cleaned up....

The red clay stain was just to the right of the seatbelt laying on the seat.... Cleaners are REALLY good at removing stains that you or I could never get out!

Also, Check out my restoration pages on my website.....
          http://www.geocities.com/paddy32561/restoration.html There is 13 pages now on the restoration... hope it gives you some ideas...
          Let me know if you need any help,

Tom...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
          Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

scott, tom

thanks for tips and pics. i gotsa some reading to do

Comment

restoration....

No problem... I have been learning this stuff for something like 30 years now.. and there have been GREAT advances in the last 10 years or so on restoration stuff, like this dye spray.... wish they had some of the stuff they have now back then when i tried to restore my car back in 1974... (My first car... 1958 Chevy Biscayne...)

Wish I could find another one of these.. and restore it today, with all the new stuff out to restore cars!
              Yes I did the paint job and flames myself... with a friends portable compressor, and a rented spray gun, and his airbrush for the flames....
              My Mom about died!!!!

Tom!

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
              Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

Working...
              X