Coolant gushing from somewhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant gushing from somewhere

Driving home from work tonight, I was accelerating from the stop sign and just before it shifted into second gear, the engine vut out momentarily and steam/smoke poured out the back of the car and from under the hood. I have a 1997 CV PI with the 4.6L W engine. THere is no coolant forward of the alternator. When I changed the plugs today I noticed three tubes had antifreeze residue in them. I could only drive a few blocks before she heated up to where i was unconfortable going any hotter. Any ideas? Upper hose is intact, plenum has coolant all over it so I can't isolate it, under the plenum in the valley there is a lot of coolant and on the right fender well there is coolant... it gets on teh right exhaust manifold more than the left and that's what's causing the smoke out back. Who's got ideas? Not how I wanted to spend Labor Day...... beleive me

Can you try to clean it up, then fill up the resivoir. Then start her up. Give her some revs, and see if anything comes out.

Comment

Does your engine have coolant lines to the EGR spacer like on the old injected 5.0 models? That would seem like a prime location for such a leak.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Does that engine have the aluminum coolant crossover or plastic?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN View Post
          Does that engine have the aluminum coolant crossover or plastic?
          Ditto.
          I bet $100,000,000,000,000 in Jewish Pesos that it has the broken plastic water neck crossover in it.

Comment

yea sounds like a broken intake unfortunately
            do not drive it!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

busted intake or blown under-intake hose is my guess. A pressure test should tell you fairly quickly.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It just happened to me 2 months ago... its the plastic intake.

i paid 1000 bucks to get it fixed.. but its worth it.

if the car is nice that is..

Comment

Major Ouch!!! Excessive numbers of plastic parts FTL.
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

ohh. that sucks

Comment

As you all guessed, it was the intake. 4" crack along the front coolant passage. I suppose that's what I get for going WOT trying to catch an Impala. $218 for a new, aluminium passage intake, $12 for coolant and a few hours later, it's back to better than it was when I bought it. I found all kinds of things wrong with the car once I got underneith it. Frame is rotted by the right catalytic converter. Would have to be cut out and welded. Don't know if it's worth it. Rocker panels are rotten under the PLASTIC trim.... I hate how much plastic this car has. If i buy another cop car it'll be from Dakota COunty like the one before this one. Obviously Ramsey County doesn't give a crap about their vehicles.

Comment

Frame rot in that spot is typical. Just cut it out and weld a plate in. Its from the evaporator drain. Not surprising on a police cruiser, since the AC gets run all the time on those.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Intake just cracked

No shit, 20 min ago I smelt coolant, i just repalced the radiator and was looking at that, maybe a hose needed to be tightend, shure as shit its the mainifold, the crack is so small you can't see it. You guys know of a good place to buy one of these. I just checked ebay, there about 220 shipped? I was thinking they might make an all aluminum mustang one that would work, but I can't find and info on that.

Comment

About 220-280 is right. The replacement ones have an aluminum crossover in front for the coolant passage, the rest is plastic.

Comment

97 marquismuscle:

1000 flipping bucks?!?!

dude, the part is 350 bucks from the dealer plus 3.5 hours of labor (at about 79.95/hour)

you got ripped off

hell, the dorman aftermarket intake is only 200-280 (depends on if you get technician discount like i do muhahaha)

and it only takes about 2 hours to do it.

you need the following tools:
                              1. 10mm 3/8" drive socket
                              2. 3/8" ratchet
                              3. channel locks
                              4. 8mm wrench (or 1/4" socket with ratchet)
                              5. torque wrench that goes down to about 18 footpounds
                              6. 1/2" drive ratchet or breaker bar (for pullin the serp belt)
                              7. catch can for the coolant
                              8. a/c spring lock tools (for fuel lines)

that's it.

step by step goodness:
                              1. drain coolant
                              2. loosen serp belt
                              3. remove alternator
                              4. remove tstat upper housing
                              5. pull all plug wires (or cop's if you have those)
                              6. pull connectors from injectors and seperate harness from fuel rail
                              7. pull vaccum conclomeration on pass side of engine
                              8. pull hoses off back of throttlebody
                              9. pull electrical connectors off of shit on throttlebody
                              10. pull throttle/cruise cables off throttle body
                              11. 2 bolts for bracket behind throttlebody for throttle/cruise cables
                              12. 2 bolts for egr valve (dont bother pulling the egr tube, just pull the valve off the tb)
                              13. seperate harnesses on back of intake from intake
                              14. remove fuel lines at fuel rail (blue and red a/c spring lock tools)
                              15. remove intake along with throttlebody/fuel rail
                              16. take old intake conglomeration to bench next to new, transfer all parts from old to new. replace injector o-rings.

installation is reverse of removal

intake manifold bolts get torqued to 18pounds
                              Last edited by seneeb; 09-08-2007, 04:34 PM.
                              GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
                              1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
                              99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
                              03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
                              95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Working...
                              X