Gas pedal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas pedal question

For some strange reason, when I went to lunch, I noticed my gas pedal is extremely 'light'. Up unitl just now, I had some resistance when pressing on the pedal. Now it's almost zero resistance and the car seems much more responsive. I didn't change anything and it actually is much nicer this way, I'm just curious why it suddenly happened and what may have caused this. Any thoughts?

one of the springs may have gone south....
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Is that a bad thing, I like how it is now. It's very responsive!!

Comment

take a look and see if the springs are still atached.

you DONT want that fuckin thing sticking open on you! :hairrais:

Comment

ahh, good point. So are their two springs?

Comment

I think... I havent fooled with an EFI car in a hot minute, lol...

Comment

I'll check after work. The springs seem like a good place to start.

So is your's CFI or converted to a carb?

Comment

Mine is a CFI, soon to be a carb'd 351W...

Comment

Originally posted by grand_marquis_gt
                  Mine is a CFI, soon to be a carb'd 351W...
                  351W

http://members.sounddomain.com/sambos86
                  My 1979 F-250 Ranger Hi Boy
                  33/12.50 BFG Mud Terrians
                  390ci with a little bigger cam
                  Holly 4 barrel with K&N
                  4 Speed with granny gear

Comment

I found that the rubber grommet that held the tv cable was broken. Replaced that and all is well. Thanks for the info.

Comment

:hairrais: good thing you did!!!

You just saved your transmission!

Comment

Yeah, I noticed driving it from work to the ford dealer that it was shifting terribly eradic. I didn't even attempt to run it in OD until I replaced it. But it was a great learning experience. It's amazing how a $2.30 grommet could cause your tranny to go. Preventitive maintanence. Thanks for the info though, looking at the springs is what lead me to notice that it was just hanging their.

Comment

No problem man. :thumbsup:

Comment

Joel... you got lucky

Normally driving the car in such condition will damage the transmission.
                            good thing you got it corrected quickly. You should probably service the transmission to avoid any future problems.

BTW: when you coming back down? I am sure you need brakes about now. I am getting closer to swapping my car to big front brakes, maybe we can use the police calipers on your car.
                            2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                            89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                            88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Eric, odd timing. I was just getting ready to shoot you a PM. My brakes started getting worse, they are being done as we speak along with the wheel bearings. Cost me $100 so I can't complain. I couldn't take any more chances with the brakes, they were getting real scary in the rain. It worked out okay, I sold him my chevy celebrity for cheap and he is doing my brakes for me. On my next trip down their I would like to do my suspension if possible. Replace the shocks and maybe find a nice rear sway bar.

As far as the tv cable goes, I drove it all of 3 miles with it like that, and man was it strange (had to get to the ford dealer). All seems to be working better than before. What kind of service should I do to the tranny? I have been given different opinions on tranny service. Some people tell me that if it's not broke or running poorly, don't touch it. Others tell me to do it at certain intervals of the car's life. What's your opinion? What should be done?

Comment

Working...
                              X