a lot of questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a lot of questions

i am new to this site. i got a 1992 grand marquis it has 177000 miles on it. it is smoking when you first go. white smoke..should i replaced gaskets. or something else. radiator fluid is going some where? so is the oil. i can get a 1996 motor that has 40000miles on it cheap. would it bolt up. i have looked and looked for two days.. even bought book at the auto parts stores. and they dont say anything about it any help would be great... i dont have a problem with doing some work

has the engine been overheated? if so toss it..........ok there is a slight problem with the 92's........you need to look at the production date on the door sticker......if your car was built before 2/92 you cannot use a 1996 engine........you will need to find a 4.6 from a 92 vic or marquis built before 2/92 or a 91 towncar

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

it was made in 91 says the sticker. so then it wouldnt work.. it has never overheated not even close. has dual overhead cams. is it worth fixing

Comment

yep it's a bastard block 4.6 (4.6 engine but it has the same trans bellhousing as a 5.0) like i said they were produced until 2/92.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

Welcome to GMN!

Your oil is going out the tailpipe (via the white smoke)

The coolant loss could be a multitude of things. Try pressure testing it (with a cooling system pressure tester) or take it to a shop.
          1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
          FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

More than likely the intake manifold is cracked if you're losing coolant. If you haven't driven it much since that happened, you may be all right, otherwise it's new engine time.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
            1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
            But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN View Post
              More than likely the intake manifold is cracked if you're losing coolant. If you haven't driven it much since that happened, you may be all right, otherwise it's new engine time.
              this is a '92 model. they didnt use the cracking prone plastic manifold till '96. '91-'95 was a completely aluminum intake manifold

Comment

Oh. Oops.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

unless theres an intake gasket leak or a warped intape

Comment

92's have aluminum intakes

pull the spark plugs, look for green on the spark plugs......sure sign of a leaking head gasket

Comment

i was gonna suggest intake gasket or the valve guides ... hoses could be leaking and valve guides could be shot. pull a couple spark plugs and let us know how they look or post some pics of them
                      Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

if you are looking at the engine from the front of the car the left 2 rear spark plugs have oil on them. and a little on the right rear.. nothing green

Comment

Working...
                        X