Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New problems arising 2003 P71

Ok so ive hit 100k

and ive started to notice (on rare occasion)

that when i have a steady throttle, and it shifts at 55mph (im guessing thats 2nd gear)

it seems to lag at shifting... like.... drags it out... dosent feel like its slipping...

and if i floor it... it shifts fine... or if its at grandma slow... it shifts fine..

(hard to explain it but I hope that does the job)

Another problem

my headlights keep turning on and off when they feel like it (with the switch on)

if i hit the top of my dash they usually go back on... but now its gotten to the point where they go on and off whenever they feel... i dont think its the switch, maybe a fuse or ground?

p71s dont have autolamps do they?

Comment

Ok well, I pulled my dash all apart and removed all (or at least whats somewhat visible) the wiring from police use, cat 5 radio wire grounds.. all of it led to nothing....

Checked ground by hood release... its on there tight...

ok well i started to use a 12v reader and was poking around... since my bright switch turns my headlights completely off, i thought i would try to see if it read anything.. well i poked it right into the wires that came off of the turn signal/bright switch, and it shot sparks back out at me..

What does this mean? Is the switch bad? or is it something in the wiring?

I also tried to follow the wiring but it goes way up behind the firewall, and it looks like it runs back into the cpu.

btw... ill upload some pics tommarow of this whole clusterfuck to show you guys what im going through.

Comment

Sparked at you? Did you cross wires? If the bright switch shuts the lights off, replace it. How do the wires look?

Comment

They look fine! I have ripped this car apart.. And I have not found any loose wires...

Also, very rarely.. sometimes when I make a turn and accelerate... My dash lights turn off.. My headlights brighten, and my battery volt meter flies up to High... after a couple of seconds, everything returns to normal.

And, my drivers side headlight is dim.. flipped the bulbs, no explenation...

sigh.. mystery vic.. :/

so ya, just buy a new turn indicator?

Comment

Originally posted by Sphinx View Post

And, my drivers side headlight is dim.. flipped the bulbs, no explenation...

Never mind, the 2 wires besides the ground were crossed..

But im still having trouble with the brights... And the only thing i can think of is the switch.

Also.. My heater will only turn on if its set on high, all the other levels dont work...

Fuse problem? or do I need a new controller?

Comment

I had a problem with the blower motor on my car. Was driving along and it stopped. I only had the top speed. So I only used the top speed for maybe 2 weeks. Then one day, it just started working again (all speeds). Maybe I changed a fuse in that time period, but I can't remember. I'd check the fuse block.
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by Sphinx View Post

my headlights keep turning on and off when they feel like it (with the switch on)

if i hit the top of my dash they usually go back on... but now its gotten to the point where they go on and off whenever they feel... i dont think its the switch, maybe a fuse or ground?
                Okay, I figured this one out... insanely lame.

There is a box under the dash on the drivers side close to the center console, right above the chip/code reader input is located.

This box is the lighting control.

On the rear towards the top there is a wiring harness that operates the headlights... Well if it sags... lights turn off... and if i push up on the harness and give it support, the lights turn on.

Weird?!

(On a side note, the brights still dont work. Im guessing, along with you guys that its the switch.)

Comment

Working...
                X