A General New Car Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A General New Car Question.

One of my friends got an 03' Mustang GT about a year and a half ago. He is tired of the quiet OEM exhaust so he asked me what he can do to make the car louder without voiding the warranty (when he wants to sell it back???). I didn't have an answer because we have never gotten a new car in my family. I guess it is up to the dealership where he bought it from as to what he can or can't do to the car. I am in unfamiliar territory here and any thoughts and suggestions about what he could do (mods) would be welcome.

Packman

Probably not much. With the cars these days, the manufacturers all but put a big sticker on top of the engine that says "WARNING: No user serviceable parts inside."

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Put cut outs before the mufflers. Then replace the h pipe (or whatever you hacked up; as long as its not expensive front pipes) before you sell it back. And, what does he mean vy selling it back?
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

i dont think they can void the warranty for exhaust mods.....as long as you do not mess with the convertors......they are covered by a 5 yr 50,000 mi epa mandated warranty iirc.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

It sounds like a lease. And if that is the case, I'm pretty sure you can't do any major mods like that without voiding something. If you want to modify your car, you have to own it outright.
          You could get him a CD with loud exhaust sounds on it that he can play while driving.
          1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
          1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
          1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
            It sounds like a lease. And if that is the case, I'm pretty sure you can't do any major mods like that without voiding something. If you want to modify your car, you have to own it outright.
            You could get him a CD with loud exhaust sounds on it that he can play while driving.
            with the new leasing laws(do note, they are not actually called leases anymore, they are a special purchasing option), the title is in his name. he owns the car. when the 'lease' is up he can either buy the car outright, sell the car on his own to anyone he wants(and possibly make a profit?), or just drop it off at the dealership. if he does options 'a' or 'b' he can probably do pretty much anything he wants to the car. if he choses 'c', then he ought to leave it alone. the dealership may charge money to bring it back to stock.

2000 HPP Mods
            15.2 @ 89.13mph-1/4 mile
            9.73 @ 72.01mph-1/8 mile

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was thinking of cutouts too, but he wanted muffs of some sort. He then proceeded to tell me that he is thinking of giving it back to the dealership because of his experience with it last winter. We had very little snow, but when we did have snowfall, he could not drive his car. He'll probably get a truck next. I just told him that whatever he does he can just bring it over here and we'll mod it respectively. I'll probably spring for a vid camera one of these days and I'll get a recording of the CV's exhaust note with the cutouts open to appease him.

Packman

Comment

Do a cat-back system and keep the original parts.
                1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
                FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

Oddly enough, it would be cheaper and easier just to put an off-road H or X pipe and MOD eliminators (the O2 sensor resistors) in there, and leave it at that. Easier to put the original H-pipe back in there when it's time to get rid of it, and the old off-road pipe will always sell on Ebay when the car goes away. The cat-back is a PITA to work with on those cars, I usually just hack-saw the tailpipes off.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                    Oddly enough, it would be cheaper and easier just to put an off-road H or X pipe and MOD eliminators (the O2 sensor resistors) in there, and leave it at that. Easier to put the original H-pipe back in there when it's time to get rid of it, and the old off-road pipe will always sell on Ebay when the car goes away. The cat-back is a PITA to work with on those cars, I usually just hack-saw the tailpipes off.
                    That's a good idea!! Though with OEM muffs, wouldn't it only be marginally louder. I think he wanted something fairly loud, though I don't know what his definition of loud is.

Packman

Comment

Working...
                    X