Tranny problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranny problems

A couple weeks ago i dropped the tranny in the wagon to put a new flywheel on. Got everything put back together, and it whined really loud. When i went to drive, it would rev up a lot before starting to move, and it revvs up a lot before shifting into 2nd, 3rd, etc. Initially it was a little low on tranny fluid so i added more and it whined a little less, but the main problem of revving up a ton before shifting was still there. Once it got warmed up it worked much better, about 90% as well as it should normally. I noticed i did bend the oil pan a little during the removal/install, but have no clue if that would cause problems. Any ideas on fixing this problem, even if they seem obvious, would be appreciated.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

One of two things happened:

1. You bent the tranny pan, blocking off the pickup on the tranny filter

2. You didn't get the convertor engaged all the way into the front pump gear

Comment

thanks for the reply. I took off the pan, bent it back into shape, replaced the filter and re-filled it. the whine seems to have gone away but it still revs a lot before shifting out of second, and presumably beyond. I am going to try to bump up the tv pressure and see if that helps. now when you say the converter might not be engaged all the way do you mean it might be too far forward in the tranny? is that even possible with it all put back together? it seems like the flywheel would stop it from going forward, but torque converters confuse my so i really dont know.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
      1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)

Comment

You have to spin it clockwise, while lightly pushing it into the front of the tranny, you have to engage three cogs/gears....

Comment

so is that possible do do by just taking off the dust shield and torque converter nuts?

Comment

No, as I think you have other problems....you mention taking the dent out, and the tranny works a little better....not a good sign.

Comment

Well it worked a better from a dead stop, but it was also warmed up a lot more than usual, so it could have been me just thinking it worked better. As i said before when it is fully warmed up it seems to act about as good as it ever did. So do you think the converter not being engaged is not the entire problem? What else could be wrong?

Comment

Fired up the wagon today to pull it into the garage so i could mess with the tv pressure before giving up on teh tranny completely. But when i put it into gear i noticed the tranny was working good so i drove it around for like 15 minutes and it worked great the entire time. Shifted better than ever in fact, so hopefully it continues working good. I'm not going to even ask questions as to why it works now, i'm just glad it does

Comment

<Obi-Wan> These aren't the problems you are looking for. Move along </Obi-Wan>
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X