Mustang AOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mustang AOD

What needs to be done to get a Mustang AOD into a '88 Crown vic? There's a cheap one for sale locally Rebuilt with a Shift kit and new 3000 stall converter. Can I just change the tail housing or something?
    Resident diesel addict

The tail housing is the same. only LINCOLNS have longer tailhousings. You would need to swap the shift linkage. Everything else is the same.

However, unless you ahve a TON of motor work done, it'll be a bitch to drive and it'll never shift.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Shift linkage but thats it. Works otherwise, but it will shift late due to the higher speed governor. HO swap, or just switch the governor in the trans and you're good to go. New governor is like 15 bucks or something.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

At light and moderate throttle, the different shift points are NO BIG deal. If the higher shift points make you sad and you loose sleep over it, you don't even have to switch the governor. The piston and spring is all that you need to switch.

Comment

If you wanna have a floor shifter now is the perfect time to install one, if the Mustang linkage is anything like the late-'80s-mid-'90s T-bird you will only need to cut one (for the shifter body) and drill four (for the bolts) holes in the tranny tunnel, flatten the tunnel a bit, and drop the shifter in.

Comment

Working...
          X