Stereo Install Questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stereo Install Questions...

Okay, so I got that Pioneer DEH-4900 head unit along with wiring kit, dash/door/rear speakers and an amp...went to install the stuff today, and ran into a couple little snags.

First, I'm trying to figure out how the thing is supposed to physically mount in the hole. The factory radio has brackets on either side of the front...the new radio doesn't have any provision for remounting those brackets on it. I took the big clip thing off the bottom of the old radio and stuck it on the new one, so it's mounted at the back, but it's just sorta hanging there in the front.

Then, I was trying to get the dash speakers out, and I realized that I can't get at the screws because the windshield is in the way...I suppose I need an offset screwdriver? Where do I get one of those, anyway? Never seen one in the tool aisle at wally world....

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Dash speakers must be 4.5", huh? Crap.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

for the dash speakers...i went low tech. i used a pair of vice grips and a phillips bit. now for the radio install... it gets tricky. did you get the stereo install kit to mount the stereo? if i remember right, you need to use 2 of the plastic surrounds to have it stick out enough from the dash. there should be one that is a rectangle shaped one and the other is the one taht looks like it is used to install a knob type stereo. cut the inside of it ou so you just have the surrounding bracket. i would need to take my dash apart to get a pic of how it is in mine.
      Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Originally posted by 87_crown_vic View Post
        i would need to take my dash apart to get a pic of how it is in mine.
        If you can do that, it'd be mucho appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MN View Post
          First, I'm trying to figure out how the thing is supposed to physically mount in the hole. The factory radio has brackets on either side of the front...the new radio doesn't have any provision for remounting those brackets on it. I took the big clip thing off the bottom of the old radio and stuck it on the new one, so it's mounted at the back, but it's just sorta hanging there in the front.
          I was trying to figure this out myself. I ended up putting the radio in the glovebox though, as I didn't want to move my gauges (where the radio should be). I know they sell little compartments (for lack of a better term) that you can mount the radio in, that will slide into the factory slot. My friend did that with his '97 CV (has the huge radio opening). Perhaps you could try that. You may be able to buy such things at Best Buy, if there is one near you.

As for the offset screw driver: Craftsman makes very cheap ones (s shaped, flat head at one end, phillips at the other). You should be able to pick it up at Sears for cheap (under $3). I'm assuming the little stubby screw drivers won't work; too tall?

Good luck with the rest of your install.
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Yeah, stubby was too long, but I found one at Menards for a buck and a half.

I talked to Jim and he told me that there's an adapter I can get for mine...I'll have to see what wally world has.

Comment

i will get pictures of how i installed Donnas stereo. i will take a pic of the brackets and how it all went together. this is how hers turned out. figured i would show hers and a pic of mine since i do the installs.
              Last edited by 87_crown_vic; 01-30-2008, 10:16 AM.
              Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Use a stereo install kit, it comes with a plastic trim ring thing that screws into where the factory brackets go, and the sleeve slides into that. Bend the tabs on the sleeve and you're set. Install kit is like $10.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i will get pictures of how i installed Donnas stereo. i will take a pic of the brackets and how it all went together. this is how hers turned out. figured i would show hers and a pic of mine since i do the installs.
                  Looks nice, cosmetics don't even clash with the interior that badly. Is that the same head unit as Nate's?
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

No--mine's a Pioneer, though it looks somewhat similar to that.

Comment

I see the Vic has the same problem the Towncar does, the trim ring for the stereo doesn't fit and you can see the metal bracket in there a bit around the edge. I think that must be common to all Fords, I've never installed one and been able to use the trim deal. Last time I did one, I cheated and just took electrical tape and put over the edges of the metal so it wasn't visible around the dash trim.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                        Looks nice, cosmetics don't even clash with the interior that badly. Is that the same head unit as Nate's?
                        Its the same head unit as this Nate. Except mine has a slightly larger screen, and the disk opening is behind the faceplate.
                        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Same as what?

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                            Its the same head unit as this Nate has (thats me). Except mine has a slightly larger screen, and the disk opening is behind the faceplate.
                            Its fixed

Comment

Oh, you Nate, not me Nate. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X