traction control add in a 2004 CV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

traction control add in a 2004 CV

Anybody know what the difference in the 2004 Crown Vics would be for a car with and without traction control? Or is it just the dash switch and the different piece to hold the switch?

Looking to buy a 2004 Sport model, but would like the traction control, as long as it's not too much of a bear to install.
    Kleetus 2000 Lincoln LS Sport 2006 Powerstroke F250
    Gone but not forgotten: 1984 Grand Marquis
    1986 Grand Marquis Ls 1987 Grand Marquis
    1997 Grand Marquis

Traction control usually (TCS) works together with ABS and VSES, if it senses a wheel slip it applies the brake of that wheel to slow it down so it regains traction - I'd imagine adding a TCS would require at least a control module swap.

Comment

you would need the abs system off of a car with TCS.

new the abs hcu is about umm, 600 or so from the dealer
      GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
      1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
      99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
      03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
      95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

yeah are you sure you dont just was a limited slip rear??
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

well, me, yes, ls would be fine, it's actually going to be a car for my mom. She got used to the tc in my Lincoln LS, and it does work pretty good. It's no fun unless you turn it off though. Ideally, I'd get TC and a limited slip, actually an auburn, that would be the ultimate.

Okay, so it's not really a quick fix... Knowing Ford as I do, I've seen it in many cars where the option isn't there, but all the wiring is... fair enough. I'll keep digging...

Thanks gang!
          Kleetus 2000 Lincoln LS Sport 2006 Powerstroke F250
          Gone but not forgotten: 1984 Grand Marquis
          1986 Grand Marquis Ls 1987 Grand Marquis
          1997 Grand Marquis

Comment

i've always felt that traction control is a very dangerous thing, but i'm a driver, not a motor vehicle operator.

the first time i drove my mom's mustang i almost wrecked it because of the traction control. I got loose coming around a corner, countersteered and the t/c kicked in and shot me in the direction i was countersteering as it cut power and the rear wheels hit and i was at full throttle. damn near put me in a telephone pole. so now i make sure before i ever put the thing in gear i turn that crap off
            GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
            1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
            99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
            03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
            95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

As long as your current ABS HCU has a 4 channel output (2 lines in, 4 out) All you should need a 03-04 ABS+TRAC module, and a traction off switch. The PCM should integrate fine (ABS communicates to PCM over the SCP/MCN bus)
              Don't hold me to it, though :p
              If the 04 is an lx, there is a very high probability the car is pre-wired for the traction control switch itself.
              -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
              My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
              Modifications
              Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

Thats ok, when i dont want tc on in the caddy, it disables 1st gear

Comment

Originally posted by cvpi73 View Post
                  Thats ok, when i dont want tc on in the caddy, it disables 1st gear
                  Tha sounds sorta lame 1st is the fun gear as long as you got sticky tires though..lol
                  YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Why would you want TC..SPIN'EM
                    R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
                    Originally posted by MeanVic84
                    Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

Working...
                    X