Whaddya Use To Cool Your CVs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whaddya Use To Cool Your CVs?

I figured that you guys with the crazy engines would have a better than stock cooling system. My ma's CV still has the stock single core radiator. I plan on switching over to an electric fan and I might even do an electric water pump too when I do the Lightning build in a year or so. What did you guys/gals use for a radiator and the rest of the cooling system for that matter? I would imagine that I would get a PI radiator because police cars spend hours even days idling in all kinds of weather.

Packman

the factory 2 and 3 core ones do well... some have aftermarket super radiators that fit decent
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

3 core Radiator and what seems like a 190* thermostat.
      keeps it steady...that temp never gets any higher than 195 max.
      altho, I am thinking of upgrading to an electric fan....
      anyone got any good links for me?
      I noticed Summit sells some nice ones for under $100..they have a nice 16" like 2000cfm flowing one for like $84.
      sigpic
      1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

3 core on the vic.

Not sure what's i'm going to use yet on the GMGT...
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

We talked about cooling systems in auto tech today. A 3 core radiator and an electric fan with a 180 degree thermostat will be all you're gonna need.
          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Land Yacht View Post
            3 core Radiator and what seems like a 190* thermostat.
            keeps it steady...that temp never gets any higher than 195 max.
            altho, I am thinking of upgrading to an electric fan....
            anyone got any good links for me?
            I noticed Summit sells some nice ones for under $100..they have a nice 16" like 2000cfm flowing one for like $84.
            I believe you'll need more than 2000cfm. I also believe that cheap fans (unless they're OEM JY finds) are no good. Why not a Mark VIII fan w/ your own controller set up?

To comment on the thread, I have a replacement (from Ford) 2 row aluminum unit. The factory unit was three row brass/ copper. The new one is actually a retrofit. My dad's '99 CVPI has the same rad as mine. It does not fit really well; some modification was needed. My engine is stock; if you have performance goodies, you need a nice three row (or more) aluminum unit (and a good fan) to get the heat out.
            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

2 Row aluminum summit racing radiator. Cools a bit much as the thermostat never stays open. It continually cycles open and closed around 200 (at the gauge) degrees with a 190 T-stat. I would like to try a 180 T stat. About $170.

I run an 05 V6 Mustang electric radiator fan.

It does not have an integrated tranny cooler though, so an axillary tranny cooler and fan are needed unless you have converted to manual.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic View Post
                2 Row aluminum summit racing radiator. Cools a bit much as the thermostat never stays open. It continually cycles open and closed around 200 (at the gauge) degrees with a 190 T-stat. I would like to try a 180 T stat. About $170.

I run an 05 V6 Mustang electric radiator fan.

It does not have an integrated tranny cooler though, so an axillary tranny cooler and fan are needed unless you have converted to manual.
                Not only does it work good, your setup looks great too!
                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

My cooling system is stock. No issues. As least engine wise. Tranny is another story.
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS
                  flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

A 180 degree thermostat and a chopped dual electric fan off a Z28. Fan came chopped, the guy I purchased it from had it on his hotrod. Removed the a/c condensor, so air goes straight to the radiator now. This all keeps her pretty cool in all temps.

Installing a tranny cooler in spring. Aluminum radiator and non-chopped Z28 fan are future plans. lol.
                    Last edited by murphmobile2; 10-16-2007, 08:05 PM.
                    1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
                    1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
                    1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

yup my cooling is all stock as well the only thing upgrade is a 1997 crown vic pusher fan

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

And my radiator saved my ass on the way home. I looked down and the temp was at 230 and climbing and I realized that my rad-fan wasn't running, with some tweaking of my positions in traffic I was able to drop the temps back down by maintaining only 15-25mph! I was kind of shocked to see it go down at such low speeds without a fan. Turned out to be the damn relay for the temp, and at any point in time I could have simply put it on AC and it would have ran the fan through an alternate relay...

Comment

I just have an eBay-sourced Modine radiator (stock replacement, $40, used for about two months) and the original mechanical fan with a stock replacement fan clutch. I chose 180 degrees for the thermostat since I felt like 160 would be a bit cool in the winter. I've played with the idea of getting an Mark VIII electric fan, but aside from being very tight-fisted with unnecessary upgrades, I'm really liking the simplicity of not having a lot of extra electrical circuits all over the place.
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

single core and a Mark VIII fan. With the 180 tstat it does not get over 200 even with the AC running on hot days. Normal temp is in the 185 area.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was afraid that I wasn't going to find any replacement radiators out there. It's nice to know that I can still get a 3-core brass/copper radiator. If I get to building a Lightning motor for the CV, I might get a 3-core unit, back it up with a dual electric fan out of a 98 Ford Taurus (the same fan that MercMarquis used), and possibly an electric water pump. I know of a place in Linden that repairs and supplies radiators, so I'll see what they have; if they are still around. I got a nice four core unit for my Malibu from them back in the day.

Packman

Comment

Working...
                              X