Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disc Brake Replacement, need special tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disc Brake Replacement, need special tool?

I have heard that a special tool is needed to push in the calipler pistons when replacing disc brakes. Is this true for both front & rear? Can't I just use a large c-clamp like I've done on all my other disc brake cars? 2000 Grand Marquis w/o antilock
    Last edited by stevelm; 10-20-2007, 11:37 AM.

the problem is that they use dual piston calipers, so if you use a c-clamp you wont compress both calipers evenly. you would have to use two clamps at the same time. also you want to crack the bleeder before you compress the pistons, otherwise you can damage the ABS pump
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Tools?

Thanks,

Another few questions:

Rear Calipers: I looks like there is more to remove than just the calipers, are the caliplers part of the parking/drum assembly?

It looks like the bolts that hold the front calipers are two in number and are regular hex head, not allen head.

Is this true?

Comment

No, the calipers are not part of the parking brake assembly. Those are little drum type shoes inside the rotor, behind the axle flange.

There are just 2 bolts to remove on the rear caliper and it comes off. They should be allen key type I believe. The ones on my car at any rate.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What I always did when I had my 2000 was use the old brake pad and put it on there and use the c clamp and compress them that way. Worked great.
          2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Originally posted by zwack88 View Post
            What I always did when I had my 2000 was use the old brake pad and put it on there and use the c clamp and compress them that way. Worked great.
            x2 That's the way to do it......

I use that method on every brake job, even on single piston calipers to avoid damaging the piston with too much pressure on one point.
            1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
            FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

Originally posted by zwack88 View Post
              X3.

Geez... Thain and Duce, the experts, were sleeping on the job again!!
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

X4, that method works even on E450 calipers, which are about twice the size of the Panther ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
                  X3.

I thought everyone knew the old pad and C clamp trick. The fun ones are non-floating calipers with opposing dual pistons. Can't use that trick on those.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    I thought everyone knew the old pad and C clamp trick. The fun ones are non-floating calipers with opposing dual pistons. Can't use that trick on those.
                    Yep, for them there's another simple trick - pull caliper, pull rotor, put caliper back on (loosely), take two BIG flat screwdrivers or two small crowbars, jam one on each side between pads, and PULL then PUSH then PULL again. Works well even with SRT-10 monsters of calipers with 4 pistons.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
                      X3.

im not on much anymore. im staying at my gf's place alot and she does not have internet
                      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

cool I never thought of that

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                        302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                        k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          Yeah, I had to get creative with the rear brakes on me saab, lol...
                          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Last Question, another special tool?

I was at NAPA, the guys there said I might need this $10 tool the you attach to a ratchet with an extention and twist while pushing the piston back into the caliper, otherwise you wil blow out the piston seal first time you use the brakes. The guy said you could NOT use a c-clamp when using this tool that grabs the top of the piston so you can twist it.

Anyone know about this?

Thanks!

Comment

you dont need that stupid tool.....i use a big screwdriver to push the piston in while it's still bolted up to the rotor......pull the caliper, replace the pads, go do the other side, put it all together, pump the brakes up and drive it

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                              X