TQ Converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TQ Converter

mine pooed this weekend and left me stranded. there's a chance my car wont look the same or even be there when i go back for it.
    i could feel the car start to slip: like a manual when teh clutch is halfway out. the car would stay in 3rd, at a high rpm, and wouldnt break 70. then, 50. then 40...now, its top speed is 11. you can hear metal pinging when its in gear. any other suggestions on what it could be? because when i go back to get it and fix it, i want to go no holds barred, get this thing fixed and back home with no problems. all input is appreciated. thank you.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Manual Trans.

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
      Manual Trans.
      it would be nice. my car is 265mi away in some "heavily ruralized" area. i may not see it again.
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

Get it towed. How can you leave your car like that? You have a $30,000 car, and you're about to drop over a grand on repairs, pay freakin' 400-500 and get it home safe and then deal with fixing it. Don't be stupid.

Comment

i would never leave the marauder. but it is my fault. i failed to specify. this is the tank- the grand marquis. i dont friggen know.
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

If it was run long enough that it lost power, I'd lay money on the fact the trans has been pumped full of the remains of whatever died. I'd be doing a full trans rebuild, not just a converter.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh well then that's different.

But yeah, if the trans has debris all through it, then it will need more than an overhaul. there is a very good chance that the debris has damaged other hard parts. Best bet is to find a used AOD and either rebuild it or go with it.

Comment

Don't forget too that if the tranny is all full of crap, so are the cooler lines and the cooler, so make sure to clean those out as well.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

good point

i think i just may swap out the tranny and not have to deal with all the "inside" problems.
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

ok ok ok , so i swapped trannys and im still having the same problem. the motoer maked power, but it doesnt make it to the ground. im supposed to leave texas in 13 days and go home to ny. i need my car to work. im really streesed out and have no idea whats wrong. i think i may just junk the car if i cant get it. ive been here for 3 months and all i want is my car to work and to go home to my girlfriend.
                    thanks
                    -ryan
                    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Wonder if it's the rear axle? If that grenaded or siezed, it would have similar symptoms.
                      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Where is it???????????
                        1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
                        FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

its on base with me in texas.
                          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Did put a new torque converter on when you swap transmissions, and use the proper filling technique for the transmission is to fill it up in park with the engine running (should take about 11-12 quarts if everything was dry when you installed it)?

Comment

Good thought; automatics don't go very far with only 1 or 2 gallons of fluid. I noticed that when installing my C4 in the LTD. Took more like 14-16 quarts in that sucker! :p
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                              X