Decent Mileage on the 4.6L Aeros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decent Mileage on the 4.6L Aeros

I think i finally have figured out how to stay within the EPA estimated mileage for my '94 Grand Marquis (4.6, AODE, 3.08 rear gear). its been as simple as accelerating moderately from a stop to 25mph, ease up to 10% throttle and the tranny shifts to 3rd and locks up the TCC and ease back into the throttle and at ~38mph she shifts into OD and locks the tcc again. Got me from a dismal 14.5mpg in mixed 60%city/40% highway driving up to 17.5mpg last tank. so far i'm at 110mi with 3/4 tank left on my current tank (which should hopefully include the odometer rollover to 180000 in 80 miles!!) i also have increased my following distance so that i can save gas and brakes by coasting when traffic momentarily slows (like when someone ahead slows down to let a car into the lane). So basicly im pretty impressed with the aode's lockup torque converter clutch it seems to make it feel like every rotation of the crank is going to the wheels. my previous best tank mileage was 19.8mpg with 90% highway. it'd be pretty impressive to beat that with the amount of city driving im doing on this tank.

That's pretty bad man. Something is wrong, you should go through and do a tune up. I get 15mpg hot rodding around town (and I do mean hot rodding, at least one burnout from a dead stop each day), 18mpg driving normal with mixed highway/city driving, and 23mpg on all highway in my 5.0L 86 Crown Vic.

My family had a 95 Aero and we got that up to 28mpg on all highway driving.

Comment

my 95 thunderbird with a 4r70w and 3.08's gets up to 30 mpg highway

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Dear Panthers,
        With four dogs, dog and human gear, the boulevard cruiser (89 wagon) did 21.38 mpg over 4500 miles last spring. While most of the driving was 80mph highway, maybe a fifth was construction, rush hour around cities and dog trials in sheep pastures. Overall highway average: 63mph. While I hope that Scott can bump my mileage up a bit with rockers & electric fan, I console myself that the brand new 71000$ Lexus hybrid -about half the cruiser's size and 1/3 dog capacity - gets 21mpg.

Donald

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic View Post
          That's pretty bad man. Something is wrong, you should go through and do a tune up. I get 15mpg hot rodding around town (and I do mean hot rodding, at least one burnout from a dead stop each day), 18mpg driving normal with mixed highway/city driving, and 23mpg on all highway in my 5.0L 86 Crown Vic.

My family had a 95 Aero and we got that up to 28mpg on all highway driving.
          it was tuned up about a year and a half ago with new wires, plugs and maybe a coil pack, new filters and the EGR & TB were cleaned out last yr. The only things i can think of to be done are cleaning the MAF and changing the rear end gear oil (i dont know when that was last done or if it was ever done). city mileage would be worse here in close proximity to new york city due to heavy congestion on the poorly designed roads. on typical city driving a mile of driving would include 7-8 stops for red lights or stop signs. I have all tires properly inflated and had a recent alignment.
          If you have any more suggestions on how to increase the mileage it would be much appreciated
          thanks for all your help

Comment

Originally posted by Spaz View Post
            I think i finally have figured out how to stay within the EPA estimated mileage for my '94 Grand Marquis (4.6, AODE, 3.08 rear gear). its been as simple as accelerating moderately from a stop to 25mph, ease up to 10% throttle and the tranny shifts to 3rd and locks up the TCC and ease back into the throttle and at ~38mph she shifts into OD and locks the tcc again. Got me from a dismal 14.5mpg in mixed 60%city/40% highway driving up to 17.5mpg last tank. so far i'm at 110mi with 3/4 tank left on my current tank (which should hopefully include the odometer rollover to 180000 in 80 miles!!) i also have increased my following distance so that i can save gas and brakes by coasting when traffic momentarily slows (like when someone ahead slows down to let a car into the lane). So basicly im pretty impressed with the aode's lockup torque converter clutch it seems to make it feel like every rotation of the crank is going to the wheels. my previous best tank mileage was 19.8mpg with 90% highway. it'd be pretty impressive to beat that with the amount of city driving im doing on this tank.
            19.8?!! Woah! something's wrong. You should be getting more than that. Our '94 Aero Vic gets around 29 mpg highway on average.

Comment

Originally posted by yucatec View Post
              I console myself that the brand new 71000$ Lexus hybrid -about half the cruiser's size and 1/3 dog capacity - gets 21mpg.

Donald
              Thats sad. 18 year old car with no fancy hybrid stuff and the aerodynamics of a bread box will equal a brand new high end luxury vehicle in the economy department.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                19.8?!! Woah! something's wrong. You should be getting more than that. Our '94 Aero Vic gets around 29 mpg highway on average.

was that measured the old fashioned way by topping it off driving till the tank is dry or from a digidash readout. i really need to figure out whats wrong i drove about 30 miles 70% highway today and lost nearly a quarter tank of fuel, but i noticed my fuel gauge fluctuates by nearly an 8th of a tank either way. when i turn the key to ON the gauge drops by a 4th of a tank and then slowly goes back to the level that it was at before then fluctuates slowly.

Comment

dude nyc is extreme city driving.....out here i can hop on the interstate and just go.......my customer in philly with a 89 mark7 lsc reports 13 mpg city.....so yea sorry, 19.8 is good for nyc area.....also gotta remember guys in the big cities they oxgenate the fuel.....gives shitty mileage......when i lived one county away and worked 2 counties away, i never got gas in chester county because it is oxygenated.....in berks county and in schuykill county where i live now it is not

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Oh New York...they should have a separate mileage rating for places like New York and San Fransisco.

Comment

19.8 doesn't sound bad for city driving. Off topic, but would the gas say, ~30 miles NW of NYC be oxygenated as well?
                      Nick
                      88 Colony Park LS
                      G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                      Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

i've got 3.55's a tune that got rid of lockup (ick), a trans that's muddling through the gears and a heavy foot and i get 19mpg. there's something wrong with your car. you should be getting at least 22 with the driving you're describing
                        GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
                        1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
                        99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
                        03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
                        95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Stock 95 GMQ with 2.73's: I got around 25-26mpg on the interstate today with the wind at my back. 21mpg coming back against the wind. Both times were at 70-75mph. It was very windy, though, throwing the car all over the road as wind always seems to do to this thing.
                          Last edited by mrbear3800; 10-29-2007, 11:40 PM.
                          1995 Grand Marquis LS, digi dash, loaded
                          124,000 miles

Mods:99 PI steering gear, harsh rear IAS shocks, front KYB gas adjusts, HPP rims with Bridgestone Potenza G009's, Walker dual exhaust with direct fit Magnaflow cats

Comment

driving down to texas, i got 28.1 mpg, with 477 mi on one tank. i have a CAI, TB spacer, msd coils, ford racing 9mm wires, E3 spark plugs, optima battery and 4 air horns, the air horns help your MPG
                            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                            Originally posted by pantera77
                            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
                              driving down to texas, i got 28.1 mpg, with 477 mi on one tank. i have a CAI, TB spacer, msd coils, ford racing 9mm wires, E3 spark plugs, optima battery and 4 air horns, the air horns help your MPG
                              Tonawanda, huh? I'm right across the river from you on the island....
                              1995 Grand Marquis LS, digi dash, loaded
                              124,000 miles

Mods:99 PI steering gear, harsh rear IAS shocks, front KYB gas adjusts, HPP rims with Bridgestone Potenza G009's, Walker dual exhaust with direct fit Magnaflow cats

Comment

Working...
                              X