anybody run "twisted wedge"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anybody run "twisted wedge"?

I'm thinking about saving up for the twisted wedge trick flow heads, for the 86 and older 5.0 HO's without valve reliefs, cuz they are the only ones that would work and make a ton of power. Also I'd get the matching cam that goes with it, but I don't know what the name of it is or the specs. That would be a formidable motor with a big exhaust and some ported gt40 or better intakes and 70mm tb and a MAF conversion. hmm.......
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

If you are spending $1000+ on a set of heads why not spend the extra $200 on a set of good pistons?
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

You will also need pushrods, guideplates, rockers, and a few other things. You will also need a chip tuner, and a ton of other stuff. Why not get a different set of heads and some decent pistons. The TFS aren't bad though.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf View Post
        If you are spending $1000+ on a set of heads why not spend the extra $200 on a set of good pistons?
        I agree. If I was to ever pour that much into a set of heads, I'd invest at least as much in the short block. When you have heads that flow that well and only 302 ci, you gotta turn the crap out of it to get the max power. If I was to buy those heads, I want to at least be able to turn 6K regularly, and 6.5K on occasion. The stock short block won't get you there, but some of it can with a little help.

I can only dream of the goodness of aluminum heads (or any aftermarket).
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Dont think you guy will ever understand almost all aftermmarket heads for a 302 need to be turned up aroud 7K or better to get fulll benifit. The ports are to big to produce power at 6K. They wiil produce more but at a loss. If you have ever done a bac to back test ported E7s produce more power done right. Most dont do them right as of late a few I thought did well lost my support.
          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

My experience with twisted wedge heads? The exhaust-side valve guides have problems with galling...and the rocker-arm geometry isn't right, either.

My choice? AFR 165's. Built like a brick outhouse, and make the most power for a 302.

Comment

I have only read a little bit about the TFS twisted wedge heads, in a small feature in a Summit catalog I got a while back. It seems like an innovative design, but I am partial to the AFR stuff. I saw numerous sets of those heads on display at Carlisle this past year; I was impressed to say the very least. Those things are works of art, and super functional. I look at TF stuff as a step below the AFR/ Brodix products (even though I can't rightfully do this seeing as I've never seen them up close). While I was at Carlisle, I visited a nearby dirt track where the WoO sprint car teams were running. I saw more than few cars there adorned with AFR/ Brodix badging. I think those heads are built for serious perf., and they're only slightly more expensive than the TF stuff. They are available with 165 or 185 cc intake runners for street engines.

I think you should heed the advice of Turbo here though. You need to have a better bottom end to support the power that those heads can make, and more importantly where they make that power.

It'd definitely be a nasty combo though...

Oops... didn't see Pirates post... too busy making my own.
              Last edited by P72Ford; 10-25-2007, 04:55 PM.
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Have ported the AFRs they are not bad there exast and intakes take some bad curves arount the short side radius. There increaess in flow as say stage 1 stage 2 stage 3 are a bit flat compaired to the huge increases available in the Brodix line. Stil at 165cc for either it puts the power peek a bit high for a 302 cu in engine. Sticking with 6000 RPM or so the ported E7's are the best. Allso the circle track guys run a bit higher on the RPMs
                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

High RPM motors aren't good chioces for these cars. It's pretty simple. Need torque. Or a manual trans with lots gear to get it in a usable RPM range. Or an insanely high stall converter and lots of rear gear that will make the car a handful on the street.

Unless you are building a stroker or a windsor, most aftermarket heads are going to be too much.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                    High RPM motors aren't good chioces for these cars. It's pretty simple. Need torque. Or a manual trans with lots gear to get it in a usable RPM range. Or an insanely high stall converter and lots of rear gear that will make the car a handful on the street.

Unless you are building a stroker or a windsor, most aftermarket heads are going to be too much.
                    Agreed. Is anyone here running a positive displacement blower (aka: Kenne Belle) on a box yet? Here's one on a Mod motor I saw, and liked, the other day:

Comment

Nope, not on a box. Few marauders with 'em though. Very impressive, I drove one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                        Nope, not on a box. Few marauders with 'em though. Very impressive, I drove one of them.
                        AED based? I found it strange that there are no 351 apps for the K-B on thier site, just 302.

Comment

That 'stang is sweet, but I like power from an engine that breathes on its own accord; aka NA, even if it means it won't be as powerful. The supercharger whine is outrageous on that beast...
                          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
                            AED based? I found it strange that there are no 351 apps for the K-B on thier site, just 302.

I guess. Whatever Trilogy uses. Might just be the basic setup that's used on the later Cobras. Whatever it is, they are friggin impressive.

Comment

I know someone running a KB on an otherwise stock Mark VII, speed-density and all. He says it goes like hell, very torquey and still efficient. He's actually doing an Explorer swap soon, after like 150k he was fooling with more boost and it popped a head gasket.

Here's a neat site I found on a Corral thread recently

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/630.shtml

kind of useful being able to side-by-side 2 heads to compare the flow figures. The view graph thing doesn't seem to work unfortunately.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X