MAGNA's AOD Buildup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAGNA's AOD Buildup

ok, so within the next year or so, MAGNA is going to get a trans rebuild with the Wide Ratio Gearset that Blaze was nice enough to sell to me.
    I also have a Transgo Shift Kit going into it.

so, what else do I need to make sure that this Trans can handle 350+hp without blowing up after 20K?

Scott recommended the A+ AOD Servo..which I have...

and he also recommended this bracket for the TV cable...

is there anything else?

I will have a B&M Trans Kooler on it...

the only other thing I can think of is amybe a bigger trans fluid pan to help keep it kooler...like this:
    2qts extra.
    http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...10002_83042_-1

1qt extra
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I dont think I would only go for a 1qt increase...doesn't sound worth it to me...buts ince it is quite cheaper...I might do it...what would you mangs advise?(those who knows tranny stuff.)

any other ideas are welcome...this buildup wont be done for at least 6 months...but I'd like to gather the parts when I can ahead of time so that when I have the money to get it built, I have it all ready.
    sigpic
    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

did you get that sonnax tv cable corrector installed colin?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what exactly does the A+ servo do?
      Nick
      88 Colony Park LS
      G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
      Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

that's what I was wondering.

umm..no I didnt Scott.
        where does it go on?
        sigpic
        1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

A+ is a waste. It is NOT needed and is very expensive. An A servo is borderline overkill due to the wider OD band on the 4r70w.

LPW makes a nice deep aluminum pan that is very reasonably priced.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

well isn't that just dandy...just wasted 120bux. :nonono:
            well, cant hurt.
            sigpic
            1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

OD will shift very harshly... but it won't hurt anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 88MercWagon View Post
                Just out of curiosity, what exactly does the A+ servo do?
                More clamping force on the overdrive band. The first AODs had the C servo, it was replaced with a B in 1986 I think for like 33% more clamping force, the A servo is something like 15% more than the B, and the A+ is some amount more than the A. It was a lot more of an improvement on the standard AOD because the overdrive band is not as wide as the one on the wide ratio setup.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, all it does is add clamping force. The more HP and torque you have and if the shift kit allows WOT OD shifts, then you want more clamping force. For most WR apps (say a stock HO) a "B" servo is adequate, and so on and so forth as HP increases. For my ~300hp( and the fact that I pretty much only run my car in 1st), the A is fine, if Colin is planning top speed runs with the 400 hp his motor has, it'll prolly need the A+. And the price difference between the A and A+ these days is negligible...

Comment

AOD trans

Get the larger deep pan that adds 2qts. There are several on the market. Price shop them.
                    Most of the deeper pans will require a filter kit from a 4WD Bronco with its extended pick up.

What about a convertor? You will need a slightly looser convertor to get the mass moving quicker. A 'lock up' convertor for the street. A 2200 to 2400 lock up is perfect for a dd.
                    DO NOT go cheap on a convertor.

How about an inline spin on filter to truly filter the fluid as it returns back to the tranny?
                    B&M, I think, offers one that attaches to the frame, and has a fitting to install a temp gauge.
                    Speed cost....how fast u wanna go??

It's not how much hp u have...
                    It's how much hp u can put to the track...

Let's seperate the men from the boys and put that power to the track using street tires and stock suspension components

'Tis infinately better to sit quietly and be thought a fool,
                    than to speak and remove all doubt.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                      Yeah, all it does is add clamping force. The more HP and torque you have and if the shift kit allows WOT OD shifts, then you want more clamping force. For most WR apps (say a stock HO) a "B" servo is adequate, and so on and so forth as HP increases. For my ~300hp( and the fact that I pretty much only run my car in 1st), the A is fine, if Colin is planning top speed runs with the 400 hp his motor has, it'll prolly need the A+. And the price difference between the A and A+ these days is negligible...
                      What driveshaft do you have under MAGNA302X?

Comment

I have a stock Driveshaft, TL.

ok, so get the 2qt more pan...ok got it. I figured only 1 qt more wasn't helping much.
                        I have a B&M Tork Master 2000stall converter in there now....per turbo's instructions, I got the 2000 stall...since he basically built my motor.
                        so, another filter...can't hurt...and it has the fitting for the temp gauge? sweet...since I already got the gauge, that helps.

anything else?
                        I want to make sure that with my motor well tuned this trans can handle the torque/hp running thru it if the power is as high as 400hp.(relatively speaking)
                        I don't want to invest all this money into the trans for a buildup and have it end upblowing up on me 20K miles down the road.
                        sigpic
                        1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

A lot of the durability is going to come from the trans builder, not so much the add-on parts. Best parts in the world aren't going to give you squat for durability and power handling if the person building it doesn't know what they're doing. Make sure the place you get to do the build is well versed in AODs, and will stand behind their work.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yea need one of the hdd clutch disc kits too. Havent been able to locate any online. Mabe some but cant get in on dial up. Mabe someone can direct colin to a site to purchase them.
                            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

oh yea..I know who I'm taking to...
                              he's been in the Tranny business for 30 years now.

ok Dave...hmm..HDD?
                              Heavy Duty.....?
                              sigpic
                              1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                              X