Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2007 GM sedan vs 89 CP

Dear Panthers,
    Recently I drove a 2007 GM (18k) Avis sedan w GPS (38 k inc 60 mo interest) and made comparisons with my scottified panther: the bouldevrad cruiser : basically a 1989 Cp on a 1984 Lincoln Hearse frame w/1991 front quarter (abt 20k over 5 years of operation and 130 k miles)

Most of my driving is long distance interstate to sheepdog trials: 2 or 4 dogs in the wayback, a full trunk (the hollow where the jump seats used to be) a back seat filled with luggage and – if I’m lucky – a co driver. I will drive from Virginia to west Texas in January.

Cabin: The 2007 is smaller: 2&2 front and back. The driver is as comfortable as the BC, maybe moreso since the 2007 has lumbar adjustments. The passenger has power seat but much less knee room which makes a big difference when co driver is sleeping on a long haul. The BC’s cabin seems more luxurious and the contractor’s console (aftermarket) is more comfortable and has better cup holders (the 2007’s may already be broken) . more storage (you can drop a notebook computer in it or a 12 pack.. The 2007 has a single electrical out;let – not enough for GPS, cell and Ipod (in my case an ibook). Sound: the blauplunkt BC with its equalizer/preamp is better than the 2007. Noise: Scott insists that the low burble of header/dual exhausts is necessary but the 2007 cabin is quieter. Although the overhead had room for (I think) a back up sensor, it must be an option. If the 2007 had one it would be neater than the BC on the A pillar. Instrumenttaiton: the 2007 had a temp gauge and tach and a large (often hard to see) digital speed and s a traditional speedometer. Don;’t know why they didn’t go with one or the other. The only time I needed a tach was when I owned a Sunbeam tiger and was concerned about shift points. For my driving a tach is a useless ornament. I’d rather have the BC’s better temp and oil gauge. The BC’s Garmin GPS (I bought it for $400 on Ebay two years ago) is more versaitile and visible than Mr Avis’ 2007. Apparently neither a GPS nor backup sensor is available on the 2007. That’s stupid. The BC has both

Performance: I need a punch on the on ramp or when traffic weaving. The 2007n and the BC seemed about the same. The suspensions were – without running a gymhaka the same. Scottified BC steering was better than the 2007. The 2007 tranny was smoother than the BC’s.

Safety: The 2007 windshield was so slanted the sun wasn’t out of it until 11 am. If I owned it I’d want a sun shield. Driving due south I had the visorr lowered so I had a slit for a windshield. The side mirrors were bigger than the BC but lacked my tiny mirrors that picked up cars in the blind spot. Despite Scott’s improvements, the 2007 brakes stopped the 2007 car sooner. The BC’s radiator grate should avoid deer damage but the 2007’s airbags are very much better than none on the BC.

Economy: the 2007 got 20 on a trip the Bc would have got 21.3 and should do a little better after Scott’s mods.

Cargo: No comparison. The 2007 trunk was probably twice the size as the under the floorboards BC trunk. I could probably fit two dogs and some luggage in the 2007, four dogs and tons of luggage in the BC.

All in all, in the unlikely event someone offered to swap a brand new Grand Marquis for my 89 CP, I'd turn them down.

Donald McCaig

thanks donald! makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! doing my best with the cruiser, some parts are just wore out and not available new, using the best of what i have here and pete v8 is doing the best he can to keep those used parts coming.....some things like the tailgate latches and hinge will have to be found at a nos obsolete ford parts place, we were able to make adjustments to make it last a little longer ....the brakes will be up to par with at least an 02.......irks me when new master cylinders fail, but i'll make it better.
    next yr we will have to work on sound deadening and rustproofing for the cruiser

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Hard to beat an old wagon for cargo carrying.

The few things the BC lacks are fairly easy to rectify. Interior noise in wagons is so high because after the rear seat there is no sound deadening. I'm rather surprised that Ford didn't add any for the backend.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I don't see any reason that some noise deadening couldn't be added under the carpet in the rear cargo area and in the body pit, and probably behind those plastic panels in the back. That should cut down on the noise quite a lot.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Everything got its cons, but the biggest thing i got against this 04 is those damn pwr adjustable pedals.

The brake is huge, the gas is real tiny and not positioned real good.

Comment

Another thought for the Cruiser, power seat on the passenger side, and maybe some Lincoln front seats, or even Grand Marq LS seats so they'd match the style of the rear seats. They're a bit plushier, and have a nicer headrest which might be more comfortable. I have the same headrests on my Townie, and I love them for long trips. I can actually rest my head on them (gasp!) and still actually face forward. For some silly reason, most "headrests" are absolutely worthless to rest the head upon while driving, or really at any other time.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

kinda wish i'd found an LSE with buckets and the console...gives it a bit more sporty flair :p

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                Interior noise in wagons is so high because after the rear seat there is no sound deadening. I'm rather surprised that Ford didn't add any for the backend.
                Try driving around with the cover off teh spare tire. I had my spare out whilst I was putting a coat of white over an area taht had the paint removed from rubbing..

Talk about loud...
                2000 Grand Marquis LS
                2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                Mercury Owners Group member
                Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

I do. Every time I race, because the spare won't stay stowed.
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Bet that sounds nice...
                    2000 Grand Marquis LS
                    2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
                    1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
                    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
                    Mercury Owners Group member
                    Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Working...
                    X