my car is in a coma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my car is in a coma

i have a 1993 mercurry grand marquis that has been diagnosed with the "it costs more to fix it than what i paid for it".
    the shop said, #6 and #8 fuel injectors were leaking. fouled all 8 plugs. both o2 sensors are out of range, and both catalytic converters are bad. the driver side one is at 100% blockage.
    they estimated it at around $1700.
    with the parts and the time i could do it. but i lack both.
    parts would go around $400
    ive been in texas for training for the past 3 months. i just want to go home. and now i have the worst decision to make. i have to leave my car down here. all by itself. i have to fly back to NY. and then all my stuff must be shipped. ( digital piano, computer, screen, xbox360, etc.) this sucks ass.
    the car has a custom CAI, throttle body spacer, ford 9mm wires, msd coils and a optima battery. it also has a perfectly good transmission in the trunk with torque converter.
    it cost me $211 to have the guy diagnose it (which took about 6 hours) and put new plugs in it. he said he'd give me my money back if i gave him the car with the title.
    i know this jerkhole is gonna turn around and sell it for $3000 easy.
    so, if anyone wants it, any parts, let me know immediatley. i dont want this fool to get it. i am in wichita falls, texas.

thank you.
    -a very disheartened Ryan
    Attached Files
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

im trying to recoup something off this vehicle. i spent $850 to put a transmission in that it didnt need. i spent 211 for some asssssshole to tell me whats wrong and to over charge me like a champ. make me a resonable deal on anything.
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

dude no!
      fuel injectors are easy to change on 4.6's i think i pay 2 bucks ea for em at the u pull it......o-ring and cap kits (rebuild kits) are about $2.50 per injector
      o2 sensors are 50 bucks each, there are two of them
      the spark plugs are new
      gut the cats.....this can be done by unbolting them and running a rod thru them......replacements are about $300 bucks for two cats (aftermarket raplacements only one on each side)
      labor to change the cats and the o2 sensors should be no more than three hours at a honest shop
      i dont get this 1700 bucks.....93 shit that's brandy new to me

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

with 113k on the clock, pristine body, and fresh paint.
        i dont have the time nesscary.....
        its killing me
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

are the cats clogged shut? does it still run?
          unplug the o2 sensors and get o-rings for the 2 leaky injectors.....should be able to limp it to ny.....or ship it home. 113,000 miles is barely broken in

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

How the hell two injectors in a SEFI engine manage to foul ALL 8 plugs? That sounds like some major BS to me... hollowing the cats will take you about half an hour, it takes literally going to the parts store for some sockets and wrenches and something hard and flexible (such as a brush wire-handle) then beating the shit out of the cats - after done demolishing the cats interior just fire up car and floor it to blow the shit out, finally reconnect the exhaust and you're good for the road. Also the car will run without the 02 sensors, it will throw the check engine light but it will run. Hell, it will run even on less than 8 cylinders, my friend has been driving her '99 Stang GT on only 7 cylinders forever, it shakes a bit but it moves pretty damn well. So, I'd suggest that you hollow out cats, fill up the tank, and head home, with leaky injectors and all - plugs are new so they will last for a while, exhaust is nice and clean now, fuck the O2 sensors and give it hell on the freeway.

Comment

birdsboro? my girlfriends family lives over there. exeter/ birdsboro. off 724.

i have come to an executive decision after some input from you guys.
              i dont think the tank is going anywhere. it can stay on base for a few weeks for all i care. all i need is some cheap junkyard injectors, and to gut the cats. or, get 2 from the junkyard and gut them at home. im still flying home sunday. here's the idea
              wait a paycheck or 2. get the parts and stuff. fly down on a friday. install. drive to NY. thats what im thinking. im gonna have to leave my piano, xbox 360, and computer in it. thats gonna be the only minus. but.... i can get my car back. i have to talk to the girlfriend about this idea and for finacial clearance.
              thanks guys. you came through in the clutch. for that, im bringin' real buffalo chicken wings to SF08.
              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Only way it should foul all the plugs and run so rich it took out the cats is if the fuel pressure regulator took a dump. They still have vacuum connected to them on the modular motors. Start it up, pull the vac hose off the regulator, and see if gas is running out of it. If it is, there's your problem.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

if you do leave the car like that, make sure you have someone to look after it, that's a lot of expensive stuff in there that can easily grow legs.

Comment

Shame, at Sheppard, and they are trying to rip you off.

no fucking way.
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
                      birdsboro? my girlfriends family lives over there. exeter/ birdsboro. off 724.

i have come to an executive decision after some input from you guys.
                      i dont think the tank is going anywhere. it can stay on base for a few weeks for all i care. all i need is some cheap junkyard injectors, and to gut the cats. or, get 2 from the junkyard and gut them at home. im still flying home sunday. here's the idea
                      wait a paycheck or 2. get the parts and stuff. fly down on a friday. install. drive to NY. thats what im thinking. im gonna have to leave my piano, xbox 360, and computer in it. thats gonna be the only minus. but.... i can get my car back. i have to talk to the girlfriend about this idea and for finacial clearance.
                      thanks guys. you came through in the clutch. for that, im bringin' real buffalo chicken wings to SF08.
                      my parents live in birdsboro, about an hr away from here.......i never officially changed my location........my shop is in tremont pa, right off of interstate 81.......i'm not the fastest mechanic on the planet but i do quality work at affordable prices.....stop by sometime!
                      scott

Comment

ahh, stop by? you mean, like SF08??

here's the update:
                        i called back to my chain of command and told them what was up. they told me not to leave the car. i have been extended till tuesday, at minimum. the auto skills centre is closed on mondays, which sucks ass. i have to wait til tuesday at 1pm. i am going to do what scott said: replace the 2 injectors for extra cheap ( junkyard), unplug the o2 sensors, and gut the cats. but im not gutting the cats. that would take too long, and i cannot break the bolts on the exhaust. they have been oxidized together. so, time for awesome ghetto straight pipe installation. just gonna cut out the cats, put the new piece(s) in , slap some JB Weld and some claps on there, and call it a day. 2 quick questions:
                        1.) The straight pipe thing seems possible. Correct?

2.) Anyone know off hand the size of the piping after, and before the cats? 93 MGM.
                        i dont want to get the wrong size.

thank you.
                        -ryan
                        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

if the downpipes of your car are anything like those of the late '80s Panthers the turn in front of the cat is extremely tight and close to the cat, so if you cut the cat off you may not be able to attach the straight pipes in their place. Jack up the car behind one of the front wheels and crawl under and look at that area of the exhaust, that would also be good time to measure what piping you'll need. If it's all fucked up you can still hollow the cats, just cut through the piping behind them, follow the procedure for gutting and cleaning them, then just install two straight butt connectors and 4 clamps and head out home.

Comment

ok ok ok. "new" injectors are in. o2 sensors unplugged, bagged, and zip-tied. new coil replaced with old coil.
                            tomorrow is judgement day...................
                            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

sounds to me like you need someone like me to keep that fleet of panthers running

Comment

Working...
                              X