Wiring info for stock 87 Tapedeck/radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring info for stock 87 Tapedeck/radio

Ok, so here's the situ... I have a decent CDplayer in my 87 F150. It was installed by Best Buy, so it has they're wiring harness on it to match the stock plugs. I want to put this stereo in my Tudor. The plugs all match up, but I don't know that the wires actually do.

Im a fair noob at car-stereo's, so I don't know how far to proceed. When I plug the new head unit into the connectors in the Tudor, I can get the unit to turn on, but within 5 seconds of output to the speakers, the sound dies. Just fizzles out. The unit still has power, just no sound comming from the speakers.

If I knew what the wires on the car's end were, I could prolly trace them and hopefully see where I may be crossed.

Any help woudl be appreciated, I'm trying to get this installed for a trip tonight. <shrug> If not, Guess I can always just pop the stock POS back in

Thanks Mangs

The Admiral

Just a thought, did the 87's use common grounds on their speakers?

Comment

Originally posted by HerMajestysMechanic View Post
      Just a thought, did the 87's use common grounds on their speakers?
      Yes.
      1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
      FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

So other than running completely new speaker wires, theres nothing I can do at the moment?

Comment

I have an aftermarket head in my car, used an adaptor harness from Circuit City without running new speaker wire.
          1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
          FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

I couldn't get mine in the 86 to work, but it was also premium sound with the amp in the trunk. I had one of the type that wasn't able to be bypassed with the harness. I ran new speaker wires for everything, works great now, though the amount of extra wiring behind the dash is a bit annoying.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Check in the trunk on the seatback area, for a stock amp. That's probably the problem. There's a plug available to bypass it, or you can run new speaker wire.
              '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
              '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Some models maybe common ground others may not, my 80 aerostar was common ground while my 89 which was amplified wasn't I have used aftermarket radios with common ground systems but they must be a low power deck.

Tim
                2000 Ford Crown Victoria
                84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
                85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
                89 Lincoln town car: RIP
                89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
                1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
                1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
                2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

Working...
                X