Transmission going out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission going out?

Ok, so it seems the fun never stops, eh?. Went through the ridiculous rigamarole to get the Tudor badged last week. Got it back the day before Thanksgiving. Next day I took it on a trip to Niagra falls NY for a friends wedding. About 1/3 of the way into the 8 hour trip, the tranny picked up a vibration in the driveline. After some inflight diagnosis, this is what I've found.

In OD:
    bucks and vibrates through all gears unless at WOT. Once highway cruise speed (55-70) is reached, the bucking dies down and the car hums along. Soon as the grade changed, or I tried to gradually accelerate, the bucking and shaking came back.

In D:
    Mild vibrations till 45, not nearly as pronounced as in OD. As soon as I drop it into OD at highway speed (50-55) The rumbling and bucking kicks back up unless at WOT.

In Neutral, no hesitation from motor during any use of the accelerator pedal. I also did this in Park, with the same results. The motor would not seem to be the source of the issue.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you need more info, I'll provide whatever you need. Im trying to figure if I need to prepare myself for a new trans, or if there's something small or atleast moderate, that it might be.

Thanks mangs

The Admiral

My 1993 Explorer is doing the same thing, oddly enough. I am going to toss a spare driveshaft into it, and give it a test drive.

Comment

Sounds like the TV bushing needs replacement.
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Sounds like low pressure (TV bushing or bad adjustment)
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

This reminds me, I need to get one of those brass TV bushings...
          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the bushing was done by Nitroracer before I got the car from him, but reckon I'll have to take a look at that. Maybe if it doesn't rain all day tomorrow, like it did today, I can check the TV adjustment/bushing. So would you say I should NOT drive the car as is? Or is this something that I can nurse by until I can check it out better?

Comment

Originally posted by HerMajestysMechanic View Post
              I'm pretty sure that the bushing was done by Nitroracer before I got the car from him, but reckon I'll have to take a look at that. Maybe if it doesn't rain all day tomorrow, like it did today, I can check the TV adjustment/bushing. So would you say I should NOT drive the car as is? Or is this something that I can nurse by until I can check it out better?
              Do not dare to get the tranny out of Park before you check the TV bushing! Put a decent jacket on and go out and get it done, I just re-jetted my Holley today under a nasty freezing rain/slush, you can do it too - it only takes a few minutes anyways :p

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks View Post
                Do not dare to get the tranny out of Park before you check the TV bushing! Put a decent jacket on and go out and get it done, I just re-jetted my Holley today under a nasty freezing rain/slush, you can do it too - it only takes a few minutes anyways :p

You're a liar. It never freezes in florida.

Comment

Neutral bomb it a few times. Sounds to me like you have carbon buildup in the valve body.

You need to blow it out with a 4000 rpm neutral bomb...
                  **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                  **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                    Neutral bomb it a few times. Sounds to me like you have carbon buildup in the valve body.

You need to blow it out with a 4000 rpm neutral bomb...
                    Why stop at 4k.. why not neutral slam it at 5200 RPM. Bet that'ld solve my problem real quick, eh? You've got to be kidding.

Comment

Why stop at 4k.. why not neutral slam it at 5200 RPM. Bet that'ld solve my problem real quick, eh? You've got to be kidding.
                      Dead serious my friend... like always.

No, I actually read a similar post in a Mark 8/ T Bird/ Cougar forum...

Must've been some ass, picking on a noob.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=105399
                      Last edited by P72Ford; 11-26-2007, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Heh Im not quite a noob. well not anymore at least. Took me a nice TH350 in my old Chevelle when I was 17. Father made me change it myself. So I learned real quick, how STOOPID Neutral Slams are lol

Admiral

Comment

Heh Im not quite a noob. well not anymore at least. Took me a nice TH350 in my old Chevelle when I was 17. Father made me change it myself. So I learned real quick, how STOOPID Neutral Slams are lol

Admiral
                          I know you're not a noob, you've been here longer than me!

It sucks to learn the hard way...

Comment

4K, 5200K? Lopo's don't reach that kind of RPM...

Comment

I've revved my car to 5K by accident. It involved a reverse burnout and an accelerator that got stuck down on the floor mat...

I no longer own those floor mats...

Comment

Working...
                              X