• Show
Clear All

How to get more Leg room???

Group

why is it these wagons are considered "FULL SIZE"
    but have leg room less then a taurus??
    I'm 6' 6" and i'm looking at a 91 Wagon, but it seems
    that theres not enough leg room..
    Any tricks to get more?? Different seats?
    Move the track?
    joe

Panthers are on an old, outdated platform. Ford, like the rest of the domestics, were late to the party getting 6' plus people into their cars properly. I'm just 5'8" and drive both the Vic and Mark VIII with the seat all the way back. Thankfully, my Fusion has plenty of legroom. All you need to do is mod the seat tracks so they are offset rearward.

Comment

Legroom isn't a factor in the cubic feet measurement that determines the size classification.

besdies, most old people that buy these cars are short, and getting shorter!

The seat tracks can be modded/moved for more front seat legroom, but you lose what little rear legroom there is. The problem is you are above average in hieght.

I'm 5'11" and have the seat about midway in travel.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

New Tauruses have more legroom than a Crown Vic? I need to take one for a spin!
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
          New Tauruses have more legroom than a Crown Vic? I need to take one for a spin!
          In terms of distance from hip to firewall, my Vic has the second worst legroom of any car I've driven in the last decade. The Mark VIII is top dog on this (2nd Gen 97+ had increased seat travel). Anyone taller than myself, in my car, has to drive "knees up" resulting in improper thigh support, and eventual discomfort. Thus my red polyurethane swaybar endlink bushing mod a few years back. Seems that tilting the bottom cushion down in the rear and raising the front helps taller people to fit.

Comment

Interesting, I forgot that you had your seat tilted back. I'm so used to having tilt adjustment on my cars that I can usually figure out how to get comfortable. I'm also used to my cars being the only non-compacts in the household fleet - the Cavalier I can fit OK by moving the seat back, but then I have to reach for the wheel, and the Aerio has a funny narrow-and-upright seating position that takes a great deal of getting used to but isn't that bad once you resign yourself to having zero elbow room.

Comment

WOuld seats from another vehicle work too?
              i saw posts about adding buckets etc into these cars.
              I want to pull the trigger and buy this wagon i found but want to make sure i'm comfy in it too...

Comment

Originally posted by 9t3lightning View Post
                WOuld seats from another vehicle work too?
                i saw posts about adding buckets etc into these cars.
                I want to pull the trigger and buy this wagon i found but want to make sure i'm comfy in it too...
                Seats from another car will be as comfortable as you're able to make them. If you have to build adapters of some sort (this will most likely be necessary), you automatically have lots of flexibility to mount the new seats pretty much where and how you like them. I also noticed that, while reusing the Panther-body seat brackets is a decent option, other seat brackets work differently; for example, the power bracket that came with my '95 Mustang seats goes only front/back and up/down (no tilt), but the fore-aft travel is quite a big longer than with my stock seat brackets.

Just my

Comment

Working...
                X