EFI 351W build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EFI 351W build

I was looking at some more info for a 351W EFI and I was thinking I could start out with a 93-95 Lightning Motor. Then from there tune her up and add power. The thing is MAF, was it on the 93-95 lightning? I really don't want Anabelle to give up EFI, I want her to be a DD and long distance trip car. I think 350-400whp is possible with this setup, some serious injectors (36lb enough?). The only expensive parts I can think of is the tuning, and maybe the computer/injector/fuel pump setup. Thinking about putting a Tremec 3550 behind it also, but probably not initially. I would do the Tremec one season, the the motor another, or vice versa. It would be the first 351 EFI 5 speed 80's towncar in the world (correct me if im wrong)
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

1. None of the 93-95 Lightnings had mass-air.
    2. 36-pounders? Yes, those will work just fine.
    3. For some reason, my recollection of which computer harness setup the Lincoln has is escaping me, it seems like the Mustang won't work. If that's the case, someone I know of has a mass-air setup for lincolns, but I can't remember who.
    4. Just get the Brian guy to build you an AOD, as it will be a road car.

Comment

Lightning motors are hard to find and usually not cheap. Start out with any 1994+ Windsor and drop some good heads and intake on it.

Comment

There was a lightning motor on Ebay a little over a month ago. I think it sold for 800. It had 160K+ on it though; needed to be rebuilt anyway.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Any stang ECU will work, you'll lose cruise unless you install a standalone cruise setup or find someone that can tune a Mark 7 ECU and leave it SD instead of Mass air. 30lb injectors would rpolly work, and 36 aren't "serious". 96lb'ers are... Fuel pump is cheap, drop in mustang one should do fine...unless you want to go full custon lines, the fuel rails might cause some issues, with the 351W being wider. I think the panther one might be able to be widened and used.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
            Any stang ECU will work, you'll lose cruise unless you install a standalone cruise setup or find someone that can tune a Mark 7 ECU and leave it SD instead of Mass air. 30lb injectors would rpolly work, and 36 aren't "serious". 96lb'ers are... Fuel pump is cheap, drop in mustang one should do fine...unless you want to go full custon lines, the fuel rails might cause some issues, with the 351W being wider. I think the panther one might be able to be widened and used.

You can not just drop in bigger injectors with a SD computer .....

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post

Besides, needing a tune is a given.

Comment

How do you calculate the size or pound injectors you need for any particular engine build? For example, I want to build a Lightning engine for my ma's CV within the next year or so. I am thinking of getting the Edelbrock truck EFI intake, AFR 185 aluminum heads, and the smallest XRE grind Comp Cams has to offer. Not really a screamer, just a torque monster for a heavy car. With that said, what size injectors would I need? Would 24# injectors be too much?

Packman

Comment

If you need a Mark VII wiring harness with a MAF setup for some reason, DisneyLincoln on fordvschevy sells them. I dont really see why that would be neccesary or desirable tho. The ecm and half the stuff is in the wrong place with a Fox harness. Would be much easier to simply add mass air wiring to the stock Panther harness. If you used a Lightning intake, everything should just plug in exactly how it is stock.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The setup I am running would be perfect.

A gt40 lower and any gt40 style upper would work great for ease of install and lack of modification needed. I think the 351 typhoons are probably about the same for ease of install....

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                      How do you calculate the size or pound injectors you need for any particular engine build? For example, I want to build a Lightning engine for my ma's CV within the next year or so. I am thinking of getting the Edelbrock truck EFI intake, AFR 185 aluminum heads, and the smallest XRE grind Comp Cams has to offer. Not really a screamer, just a torque monster for a heavy car. With that said, what size injectors would I need? Would 24# injectors be too much?
                      I think Holley has a formula somewhere on their site...

Comment

Thanks for the info Mercracer. I will navigate their site and see what Holley has to say. Even though I don't expect to build this engine any time soon, I still like to do as much research as possible that way I run into less hang ups when the time comes.

Packman

Comment

I could run 19/lb injectors, my Mark VII ecu, and the HO cam at first and it would work right? Then convert to MAF, then throw on some better mods and tune as necessary. I just don't think I can afford all this crap at once, if were talking 5K+ or somethin.
                          1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

With aftermarket heads, prolly not. It might barely run, if it does it would more than likely be lean. The mass air stuff, depending on what you get can be had cheap. Unfortunately it won't be very good performance stuff. Just stock MAF parts. Just take your time, save the money and get the right stuff. It'll take a while, but it wil be worth it.

Comment

Stock 302 truck EFI engines already run a 19-pound injector....bumping this to a 351 isn't going to help the fuel mixture any.

At this point, running a 351W is going to require a better than average fuel/ECM system, at least a 24-pound injector, and since none of the car-based SD computers had a 5.8 as standard equipment...you are going to have to at least go to mass-air.
                              I can't recall what injector the Lightning used, but I am vaguely remembering a 24-pound injector, but that injector was fired twice instead of just one time, so Ford would not have to run a larger injector.

Wanna run the 5.8? You are going to have to use Mass Air, and at least a 24-pounder, if not a 30.
                              Last edited by ; 12-03-2007, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X