Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1990 LTD Crown Vic + Ford JBL audio problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 LTD Crown Vic + Ford JBL audio problem.

I recently acquired a 1990 Crown Vic in pristine condition, from the original owner. It has 110k miles and looks new, in and out. Everthing works, except one annoying problem....the radio.
    It came with the high level JBL sound system. Radio powers on, but no sound. I tried an aftermarket AM/FM CD player, but same issue...powers up, but no sound. I connected the aftermarket radio head using special harness and plug.

So, here is my suspicion: I think the JBL amp in the trunk is dead, and for me to use an aftermarket radio, I will need to bypass the amp. I would sure like to find another amp and keep the system stock.

Anyone have any experiences, and can advise me as to what to do?

Originally posted by compuwiz1 View Post
    I recently acquired a 1990 Crown Vic in pristine condition, from the original owner. It has 110k miles and looks new, in and out. Everthing works, except one annoying problem....the radio.
    It came with the high level JBL sound system. Radio powers on, but no sound. I tried an aftermarket AM/FM CD player, but same issue...powers up, but no sound. I connected the aftermarket radio head using special harness and plug.

So, here is my suspicion: I think the JBL amp in the trunk is dead, and for me to use an aftermarket radio, I will need to bypass the amp. I would sure like to find another amp and keep the system stock.

Anyone have any experiences, and can advise me as to what to do?
    It could be that all the speakers blew (unlikely) or the ground for the speakers broke.

Comment

oh and btw to GMN!

Comment

i use the aftermaket harness to just power the stereo and run new lines for the speakers. i also install aftermarket speakers to have better sound than stock ones. personally, aftermarket wiring for the speakers will be better instead of old wiring that is thin and doesnt carry as much power.
        Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

The stock wiring used a common speaker ground did it not? I remember you telling me that.

Comment

thats on the older cars, maybe the amp is fried i had a similar prob with my bros lincoln. you can buy a amp by-pass but if you jus go to your local wreckers you could get a stock one or maybe some one on here has one

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
              thats on the older cars, maybe the amp is fried i had a similar prob with my bros lincoln. you can buy a amp by-pass but if you jus go to your local wreckers you could get a stock one or maybe some one on here has one
              oh.

Comment

Donnas 1989 is able to hook right up with both of the harnesses. either way, the premium sound requires an additional plug. look at back of package the harnesses came from. it states you will need an additional part to get it to werk right. either way, you will need to probably get another factory amp i am betting. that is why i just run lines directly from stereo with aftermarket lines. or you could get aftermarket wiring, adapter to change it to a RCA plug, 4 channel amp and new wiring from amp to speakers. like i said. i prefer aftermarket speakers, and wiring.
                Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Working...
                X