6.5" Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5" Speakers

I am going to ask for some speakers for Christmas. I don't really feel like modding the Town Car's door to fit 6.5" speakers. But I was told by someone in AIM, you can fit 6.5" speakers in the doors with no mods? Modding doors in the LTD was so fun...

Or do you guys just mount them to the door panels?

I have heard good things about this budget set...
    http://www.cadencestore.com/ProductC...&idproduct=194

Planet Audio VX-4004
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PLANET-AUDIO-4-C...QQcmdZViewItem
    $126.50 [Shipped]

And then I will have to think about some 6" x 9" to get, kind of want to get 6.5" for the rear as well. Could just order two and make an adapter for the rear deck for them.

Anyway, how did you guys get them to fit in your doors?

On my Vic, the door metal framework already had as hole big enough for the basket and magnet. Just carefully cut through the cardboard and vinyl/fabric. Watch your depth, though, as your window comes pretty close with normal speakers. In the interests of tonal quality, I installed the same speakers, 6-1/2S, into the rear deck as well. I just made some wooden baffles to shrink the rear deck size down.

Comment

On the Townie, remove the door panel, and then remove the white plastic ring the stock speaker mounts into. Should be able to fit a 6 1/2" in there without trouble, though you might have to drill a new hole or so for screws.

My 6x9" in the back are using the rubber bands, though eventually when I quit being lazy I want to pull that rear deck out and install screws to more solidly mount the speakers. Probably upgrade those while I'm at it, but it hasn't been on my high priority list. I actually want a different sub box first.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

On my world champion I use 6" fit the door hole perfectly. 6 1/2s where a little large for the stock holes. I just didn't want to use an adapter. I would use an adapter for the 6 1/2s for the rear too.

Tim
        2000 Ford Crown Victoria
        84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
        85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
        89 Lincoln town car: RIP
        89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
        1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
        1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
        2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

i install 6.5s in my doors. my cars didnt originally have door speakers except the grand marquis. i pulled the door panel up to see where the hole was in the door. after that i cut a hole thru the panel. i placed the panel back on the door so the i could use utility knife to cut the hole out for the speaker using the mounting hole for the guide for the knife. i would place the speaker in the hole occasionally to make sure stuff wouldnt contact the speaker itself. i would then hold the speaker in place and use a drill to drill new holes in the door or use self tapping scres to hold the speaker in place. hardest part about installing the speakers is running the wire thru the hose that has all the wires running thru it. i had to run extra wiring to the speaker since they light up. but in the end, results were nice. here is a pic of one of my speakers. here is another pic of a door speaker i installed in my grand marquis.
          Last edited by 87_crown_vic; 01-30-2008, 10:14 AM.
          Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

I am just going to use 5.25" so I can keep the angled mounts which aid sound quality a bit. I think I will get a 6.5" set for the rear deck.

Asking for these for christmas.

And they are going to get 200 watts RMS @ 4 ohms

They should be loud enough for me

Comment

I mounted 6.5" speakers in my door like this, but it was a fair bit of work

Does your Towny have the premium sound door pods that kinda aim the speakers. If so its alot easier to mount aftermarket 6.5"s I had my mtx's mounted in a set that I was going to install in this car, but the window crank would not clear them. If you mount them like I did, you have to make sure to check the depth of the speaker to make sure the window does not hit it when rolled all the way down. Blaze has Cadence speakers in his Vic and as far as i know he's pretty happy with the sound.
              sigpicVic Videos Here http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...676#post243676
              Vic's Reader's Rides Page http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=16917
              Vic's Cardomain page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2532949
              1975 Chevy C-10 Cardomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3371894

Comment

Why 6.5" in the rear? The factory holes are 6x9".
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by saiyaneye View Post
                  I am just going to use 5.25" so I can keep the angled mounts which aid sound quality a bit.
                  wise choice

about the speakers you linked - never hard of those brand... are they supposed to be good? For that price you could easily get a more common brand if you are unsure about the quality.
                  I just got a set of new JBL components for $50 off ebay...
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

True. Alpine, for example, has at least one line that's extremely nice that sells for (if I remember correctly) around $100 for a pair of 6x9s.
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

CDT is a good brand for component speakers. There are sound quality speakers. I believe they are based out of Germany. The reason you haven't heard of them is because you can't get them at any chain audio suppliers (Circuit City, Best Buy, Audio Express, WalMart) Usually only independent shops carry them. Look them up on Google, you will find nothing but good things about them.

Have you ever heard of these brands
                      Focal, Zapco, Helix, Morel, A/D/S?

Also I would rather have 6.5" speakers in the rear deck because I can find better quality 6.5" speakers than I can 6"x9". Something like this for the rear deck, or maybe those cheap Cadence components that have been on clearance for a couple years, which are a good low budget component set.

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                      True. Alpine, for example, has at least one line that's extremely nice that sells for (if I remember correctly) around $100 for a pair of 6x9s.
                      Ehh, Alpine has been pretty disappointing for the past 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by saiyaneye View Post
                        Ehh, Alpine has been pretty disappointing for the past 2 years.
                        That I'd not known - guess you must have higher standards than that. :p Don't suppose Best Buy or Circuit City carry those other brands you're talking about?
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Right now Best Buy's brand lineup is
                          Pioneer
                          Infinity
                          Sony
                          Alpine
                          Insignia®
                          Kenwood
                          Power Acoustik
                          Rockford Fosgate
                          Dual
                          Dynex®
                          Rockford

Never heard of Insignia or Dynex. A/D/S is part of Directed Electronics, I am not sure if they are still made, I know there older sets are extremely nice and can be had on eBay for cheap.
                          Kicker
                          MTX
                          Pioneer
                          Polk
                          Sony
                          JVC
                          Pioneer
                          RCA
                          Scosche
                          Sony
                          VRS
                          XOVision
                          Roadmaster

Never heard of VRS, XOVison, and then WalMart offers some crap brands. Roadmaster, ugh, Durabrand, Dual....

One way you can tell a cheap set of speakers from a really good set is, how well it reproduces the sound. A lot of cheap sets will sound very harsh for example. Or they will lack performance in a frequency range.
                          If you have any local audio shops, go there and ask them to listen to a few different higher end components sets. Most shops will let you demo them even if you are not going to buy them, because they think you can potentially be a sale. Even if you just want to listen to the set and not buy them a lot of shops won't even care.

Here is a good link
                          http://www.resnet.trinity.edu/areynol1/audiolinks.htm
                          Last edited by saiyaneye; 12-18-2007, 03:59 PM.

Comment

i had no trouble installing 6.5" speakers in the towny.........throw those plastic rings away

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Insignia and Dynex are their store brands. When I get ready for a stereo im gonna have my hookup at BB get me a 100bd fosgate amp for $280 instead of the 600 new its adv. at

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                              '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                              '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Working...
                              X