looking at a 96 town car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking at a 96 town car

Well I drove past a friend of mines house the other day and saw that he had a CLEAN red TC.

So, on my way back down the road, I stopped by his house to check it out.
    He said that it belonged to his brother, and that he was just cleaning it up, and changing the oil.

I started looking it over and asking him questions about it. It has a red exterior, and a red leather interior. im usually not to crazy about red interiors but i have to admit, i liked it.

Anyway, come to find out it only has 20,000 miles on it, and its a 96.

He is an older guy, and I knew that his brother who is older then him isnt in to good of shape, so I asked him if he was going to sell it.

He said he wasnt going to sell it now, that he was going to wait till his brother passes away, then hes going to sell it.

I told him right then and there that i DEFINATLY want it, and to let me know when he sells it.

What are the overall veiws of a 96 Lincoln town car? any problems I should look for?

let me know what you guys are thinking.

thanks,

Justin

So you are waiting for your friends brother to die

Comment

haha it sounds bad doesnt it hahaha

Comment

a 96 with 20,000 miles
        tires are prob dryrotted
        change out all the fluids, give it a tune up and change all the filters
        i've seen 96 townie taxis with 400,000 mi

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yea, all of that would definatly be the first things I would do. Switch it all over to royal purple. I think the tires have already been replaced.

I just didnt know if theres any other things to look for. But I guess with over 400,000 miles on some of them, they must be pretty reliable.

Comment

Hi Gilroy Racing

Be wary of the plastic intake I doubt it been changed for the modified one.

Regards

Dereck
            President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

i didnt know that the 96 had a plastic intake.......my 95 thunderturd has an aluminum intake

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yeah, the 96 has the plastic, and the valve seal issue was fixed by 96 so you're good on that. (p71towny)
                1970 Olds 442 : Work in progress

Comment

Yea it does have a plastic intake, I noticed that when I poped the hood.

What would be a good upgrade for the intake if I were to get the car?

thanks.

Comment

Yeah, definately change the plastic intake manifold...BEFORE it cracks through. I had it blow on 96 & 97 MGM's and on a 97 TC. When my fiancee got her 97 MGM I factored it into the price and just changed it out a couple of weeks after she bought it.

Comment

I don't want to threadjack here, but what is the problem with the plastic intake? What sort of problems does the cracking create?
                      Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
                      Bone stock... for now.

Comment

^^ask as many questions as you want, i learn along with you.

Comment

I ask because I have a 1993 TC and I'm pretty sure it has the plastic intake (I am not really very car knowlegable.) I will say that my 93 has been one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned, and the one you mentioned sounds nice. That is after they restyled it, right? I know it's a better looking and feeling vehicle, esp. the interior, after the restyle (which wasn't very drastic.) Mine also has the red leather interior, and with the exception of one place where the seams are seperated, it still looks pretty nice inside. On this site you will get more info on boxes than aeros. However, the aero is also a good car overall. After my almost worry-free 1 1/2 years of TC ownership, I'd have to recommend them to anyone who wants a big car with style and a nice ride.
                          Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
                          Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
                            I don't want to threadjack here, but what is the problem with the plastic intake? What sort of problems does the cracking create?
                            It always cracks from stress on the end at the coolant crossover, therefore all the coolant comes out and your engine will overheat. It can foul up other aspects of your engine as well. It's the kind of thing that just breaks one day while you're out driving some place and you have to fix it before you can really drive the car again. It cost me about $800 to get it fixed the first time. With my fiancee's car, I just changed it myself before it blew, and I got the part for $179 on ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
                              I ask because I have a 1993 TC and I'm pretty sure it has the plastic intake .
                              Hi Chuck norris

The plastic intake started in 96 so unless your engine is from a 96 then you have a good old fashoined aluminium intake.

The problem with the plastic intakes is that they crack behind the alternator and you lose all your coolant in about as long as it takes you to pull over to the shoulder.

You can tell the difference between the old style and modified intake because the modified one has an aluminium crossover piece added behind the alternator.

Regards

Dereck
                              President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

Working...
                              X