Fuel delivery problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel delivery problem?

The TC smells like gas while running and after you shut it off, even for a day or two if you let it sit. I think the culprit is a bad fuel injector possible. The idle goes from crappy to good, sometimes back to crappy. Sometimes it dies sitting at a red light. The smell is DEFFINETLY coming from undder the hood. The bad idle and fuel smell coincided, and I occassionally get a check engine light. I have no test equipment and am not very mechanically inclined. Where do I start? If you guys think it may be the fuel injector, I drive a 1993 TC. How difficult are they to replace?
    Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
    Bone stock... for now.

Check the Egr valve to see if its clogged..My 92 did that and it burned oil like a furnace
    R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
    Originally posted by MeanVic84
    Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Comment

I'll have to check that out. How do I clean it?

Bone stock... for now.

Comment

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00015.html
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Aesome link, thanks! I have a weekend project now!

Bone stock... for now.

Comment

you can easilly see the injectors on a 4.6......just turn the key on so theres pressure and take a good look around the injectors with a bright flashlight

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
              you can easilly see the injectors on a 4.6......just turn the key on so theres pressure and take a good look around the injectors with a bright flashlight
              I'll do that, thank you!

Bone stock... for now.

Comment

I doubt it's a leaky injector tho. Its probably a shitty evap system. I gutted mine, but you might have a problem doing that causing a CEL.
                Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

I wondered if maybe the smell was due to a bad charcoal canister. First though, I'm tackling the EGR. My in-laws are watching the kiddo Tuesday so my wife can give her undivided attention to helping my take off the air intake and clean out the egr passages. I've never dug that deep into an engine bay before so honestly, I'm a little apprehensive. I know it would be childs play to some of you guys, but I'm one of the resident perman00bs. But we'll see how it goes.

Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Just go slow and if you begin to feel lost, take a quick break and come back to it.
                    1985 .LTD Crown Victoria
                    1986 .LTD Crown Victoria

Both tan

Comment

Originally posted by V8sofa View Post
                      Just go slow and if you begin to feel lost, take a quick break and come back to it.
                      +1

I was going to suggest a leaky injector O-ring ... sucks that the source of a fuel smell can be so hard to pinpoint. :nonono:
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

If you would run a lighter around all of the injectors, that would make it a lot easier to spot a leak....

Some suggestions:

1. If you can located the fuel pressure regulator, and the vacuum line hooked up to it, pop the vacuum line off, with it running, and see if gas comes out. Occasionally, the FPR breaks internally, and pops gas back into the vacuum line, causing a charming, Carolina-pine-forest gasoline smell. It will also reduce fuel pressure...which will affect driveability.

2. Definitely look for fuel leaks.

Comment

+1 to Pirate's suggestion #1. I had that happen once, wasn't good for drivability in the least. Hopefully your regulator is replacable with just an Allen wrench like mine was.
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

A big THANKS to GADGET!!!

And, Jason Vogelsberg IS the greatest mechanic ALIVE!

I took on the project of cleaning out the EGR passages (see Gadget's link on a couple posts back). I am not mechanically inclined, but I read and re-read the steps in the walkthrough on the link, and did my best. The harsh idle is gone! It was a big job for me, took me over three hours due to inexperience and shamefully inadequate tools and equipment. But it's done, and the car is running very well again.

Now I've got to replace the anceint rubber fittings I destroyed in the process.

There is two lines that connect to the PCV. The larger line, the one on the bottom IIRC, connects to a solid plastic tube, which then connects to a rubber T (that goes dirctly to the block at the bottom), whick the runs a solid plastic hose over to the drivers side, passing under the throttle body, which then connects to the valve cover, I think (it was hard to see) via a rubber hose. That piece of hose broke, and the T broke. UGHA! I "borrowed" some hose from the radiator overflow, cleaned it out, and reconnected the drivers side bit using it, but it is barely hanging on. And I globbed gasket sealent all over the T connector in hopes it'll provide enough seal to prevent vacuum leak. It's working for now.

So, this not-even-amerature mechanic, and GMN perman00b, cobbled everything back together and it's better than it was when I started. I am giving myself an intarweb pat on the back!

:poop2::rock::smirk::headbang::woot::jammin:

Bone stock... for now.

Comment

ah the pcv lines rotted apart at the T. Thats another stupid problem I've heard of with these. Glad its running better for you. The 4.6 is a good motor, just has it's own maintenance items to deal with.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X