how to build a fiberglass enclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to build a fiberglass enclosure

well i thought sinse i was in the middle of this project i would make a little "how to".

Ill start with material list.

1. MDF board(can be found at Home Depot and Lowes)
    2. wood glue(i use Elmers)
    3. wood screws 1.5"
    4. fleece(can be bought at Wal-Mart or any fabric store)
    5. staple gun and staples(can be bought at Wal-Mart for around $20.00)
    6. sand paper(coarse, medium, and fine i recommmend 3M brand)
    7. primer
    8. Bondo body filler
    9. fiberglass resin(can be bought at Wal-Mart or local parts store)
    10. paint brushes(cheaper if bought at Wal-Mart)
    11. Box of Latex gloves
    12. Plastic body filler applicator

To start i built a subframe from MDF to house the enclosure. I used a jigsaw to cut out the mounting rings using the pattern supplied with the subwoofers.
    when fitting the pieces of MDF together i suggest pre-drilling before screwing pieces together but always make the pre-drill holes a bit smaller than the screw itself, this will prevent the MDF from splitting. Also you will want to use the wood glue to help strengthen the structure. It takes alot of imagination, measuring, cutting, and re-cutting to get things where you want them.

Now after the structure was dry and had been prefitted to its location i began the fleece application. Using your stapler stretch the fleece over the encloser stapling it along the frame to achieve the desired shape and look. this may take some cutting and overlapping but its ok fleece is cheap. You may also want to often check for fitment of the subs throughout this process.

Now for the messy part. Mixing about a cup at a time i use a plastic cup of some kind or something disposable and mix the polyurethane resin and hardner according to the instructions included with the resin. I strongly recommend wearing gloves, and if you have sensitive hands double them up. Use the brush to apply the resin generously over the fleece and insure it soaks in.apply resin outside and inside of the box inclosure. You may also want to make sure you do this in a well ventilated warm and humid place. the humidity helps the resin set better but not too much humidity. you can do this step several times until you are satisfied with the stiffness of the enclosure.
    Now the sanding begins. Sand the outside of the box with the coarse sanpaper enough to knock down any high areas and to prep the surface for the body filler.
    Mix the body filler according to the instructions included with the can and be carefull not to add too much hardner so that it sets up as you try to apply it. it sets quick so i would mix little ammounts at a time. use the plastic applicator and apply thin ammounts of filler over the box at a time. as it sets you can start sanding with your different sand papers and continue applying filler until the surface is smooth. Filler is to smooth the surface do not put it on thick or it will crack. Use sandable primers to find low spots and better see the surface you are working with.

This step could take a couple of days or so depending on the size of box you decide to build but after all your hard work it should start looking more like this. Although im not done you can see what im working towards.

I hope this is helpful towards anyone interested.

my cardomain page is http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2944469

did you make this one?

How much to make one for a box trunk that will hold two 10's and the spare laying flat??
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP* View Post
      did you make this one?

How much to make one for a box trunk that will hold two 10's and the spare laying flat??
      How much in materials or how much ill charge to do it myself?

Comment

both!
        One day I might enough to pay some one to do it, but if the stuff isnt much I might try to do it... Ive always wanted such a box, filling the trunk pan and using the space on either side of the spare for the subs...
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP* View Post
          both!
          One day I might enough to pay some one to do it, but if the stuff isnt much I might try to do it... Ive always wanted such a box, filling the trunk pan and using the space on either side of the spare for the subs...
          Well to be honest i would have to have a look to have an idea of how much. but in the end it would cost under $100 to build yourself. For me to build it would cost alot.

Comment

Thanks for the overview! I'd heard about people doing stuff in "molded fiberglass" before, but I don't personally know very many people who actually do this sort of thing. Using the fleece makes it look almost easy compared to the design nightmare I've been envisioning.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              Thanks for the overview! I'd heard about people doing stuff in "molded fiberglass" before, but I don't personally know very many people who actually do this sort of thing. Using the fleece makes it look almost easy compared to the design nightmare I've been envisioning.
              I used to think so myself until i just jumped into it one day. Its all just trial and error but if you try a project like this dont hesitate to shoot me a messege if you have any questions or need a pointer. I built the doors, hood, dash and trunk out of fiberglass for my race car. Ill be posting something later this month on how to do more basic fiberglassing, starting with mold making.

Comment

Sticky dammit sticky......

Oh and as a bit of a add-on, don't be a tard and keep the sub inside the enclosure, only to allow the resin to run off and dry on to the sub *Personal Exp.* but thats ANOTHER story....Awesome job Dizzymang....
                sigpic1991 Crown Vic 351w 5.8L

Comment

Good, job they turned out much better than kick panels I made a while back.

Good write up, how many gallons of resin did it take to make an enclosure of that size?

Comment

Working...
                  X